need some help

Reaction score
Ok, here is my story.

I have a MacBook - 2.0Ghz. I had upgraded to 10.4.7 (when released), then to 10.4.8 (this past week) - I had a lot of problems when I updated to 10.4.8. My file permissions were off, opening programs was slow, etc. Then in sleep mode, it would never wake up properly. I could see some image, but the screen was pretty much black and no matter how much i tried to brighten the screen with the key, it would stay dark. So I wiped out the system. Then I did the install and upgraded to 10.4.7. Things were still acting funny, so I wiped it again. No difference. Now I can't even install MS Office, Toast 7, etc without the install stopping half way or not even starting at all.

Is there anyway I can bring back my mac book to the older firmware when I first got it? This is my first Mac purchase and right now i'm no longer happy with it. Any ideas?

Reaction score
unplugged said:
Ok, here is my story.

I have a MacBook - 2.0Ghz. I had upgraded to 10.4.7 (when released), then to 10.4.8 (this past week) - I had a lot of problems when I updated to 10.4.8. My file permissions were off, opening programs was slow, etc. Then in sleep mode, it would never wake up properly. I could see some image, but the screen was pretty much black and no matter how much i tried to brighten the screen with the key, it would stay dark. So I wiped out the system. Then I did the install and upgraded to 10.4.7. Things were still acting funny, so I wiped it again. No difference. Now I can't even install MS Office, Toast 7, etc without the install stopping half way or not even starting at all.

Is there anyway I can bring back my mac book to the older firmware when I first got it? This is my first Mac purchase and right now i'm no longer happy with it. Any ideas?

Hi, there have been problems for some with this recent update, myself having to uninstall the latest version of QuickTime due to playback issues.

Have you tried verifying/repairing the HD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.