HELP! Mac Virus Protection and System Restore..?

S

sumaarmont

Hey !

I was wondering if it is necessary to put any virus protection software on my MacBook laptop. I go online using wireless mostly, and haven't had any virus problems yet. I know there are hardly any viruses for Macs, but just wanted to be super safe.

Also, I am wondering if my MacBook has some feature such as "System Restore" (I know this is a Windows feature)...where you can restore the computer to an earlier point in time if you have trouble. How can I turn this on or is it automatic?

Thank you so much!!

:biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 1.03 TB Fusion Drive
I use virus barrier x4 on my iMac with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
better safe then sorry :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
pmsl at installing antivirus.. dont bother you wont get one anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
andy_st200 said:
pmsl at installing antivirus.. dont bother you wont get one anyway

And you can garuntee this? You know his browsing habbits? If he does get a virus are you willing to fix his system for him ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
I use ClamXav, mainly because I share files with windows computers, it's free and seems to work pretty well. You may not need it but it can't hurt, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Mathiau said:
And you can garuntee this? You know his browsing habbits? If he does get a virus are you willing to fix his system for him ?

Sure, I'd be more than happy to fix it for him. The odds are significantly in his favor of NOT getting a virus no matter where he surfs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, odds are in his favour, but it is not a %100 garuntee :)

WHat happens if someone does code a new virus, that attacks documents and personal files, they all get deleted and are gone, you cant repair that if the virus is good enough.

Sure it is a worse case scenario... but for how powerful computers are becoming, what is it to install some antivirus to sit idle and possibly save you if the day does come something gets in....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to be paranoid about, install one, it's not that big of a deal. I mean, if we worried about all of the "what if's" in the world, or even all the "what if's" about your computer, we'd never get anything done.

Reaction score
Plus, virus scanners tend to be resource hogs. Once someone starts releasing viruses for macs, then I'll buy something. But right now, there is ABSOLUTELY no need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with the power of CPU's these days and the GIG's and GIG"s of ram people use, what is 30mb of memory and maybe 1-2% cpu cycles when idle......

What can be annoying are the poorly programmed ones that take an hour to scan an .exe file when you want to open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ONLY valid reason right now is so you don't pass crap on to your Windows using friends via e-mail...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.