G4 Hardware Swap

J

JayElAre

Greetings,
I own a Power Mac G4 that has two hard drives [a 20 GB and an 80 GB]. I recently came across a 250 GB HD that I would like to install in the machine. Unfortunately, the G4 only has two hard drive bays. I would like to take out the 20 GB, however it happens to be the the drive where all the system & StartUp information is.
Essentially, I would like to make the 80 GB my startup disk and have the 250 GB as extra storage, but I need to know what the best way to transfer all the system information from the 20 GB to the 80 GB. It seems like a touchy operation that requires more than simply drag-and-drop procedures. Any advice/suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.

-Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Use CarbonCopy CLoner. Clone the 20 Gb data to the 80Gb, then remove the 20 and insert the 250Gb. Be advised, depending on which G4 Tower you have, there may be a limit on wether the system will recognize the 250Gb as anything bigger than 128Gb. This was hardware limitation on many of the G4 Towers. You may need to get a new ATA PCI card to be able to use the drive as a full 250Gb.

OP
J

JayElAre

So I used Carbon Copy to copy my start up disc to my other hard drive and then added the 250 GB HD. When I went to boot-up, the computer went into something called "Apple Firmware" giving me the option to type in a command to shut down or to continue booting. When I tried to continue to boot, nothing happened. It seems like the OS information somehow did not get transfered. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
JayElAre said:
So I used Carbon Copy to copy my start up disc to my other hard drive and then added the 250 GB HD. When I went to boot-up, the computer went into something called "Apple Firmware" giving me the option to type in a command to shut down or to continue booting. When I tried to continue to boot, nothing happened. It seems like the OS information somehow did not get transfered. Any suggestions?

You have to make sure that "Make bootable" is checked in the preferences of Carbon Copy Cloner before cloning.
Only the Quicksilver 2002 and the Mirrored Drive Door Power Mac G4 can support drives bigger than 128GB, all other Power Mac G4, including the 1st gen Quicksilver, will use only 128GB of your 250GB disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.