Fan Control

C

canadian_eh

I've always complained about how hot my iBook gets before the fan turns on, and it wasn't until about 20 minutes ago that I noticed there is a program available for some Macs that allows you to control the fan. However, it was only for Intel Macs, I believe.
Does anyone know of a way that I can control my fan, or maybe even lower the temperature that it turns on at?

Thanks,

Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that is something i would not play around with.....
::dons the flam suit::

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
buy a more expensive computer which you may not entirely need just so you can control its fans, make them run more, wear them out faster and use more battery while making your fans spin more than they should?

i am so confused
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i just leave it to the ibook. if apple thought it was too dangerous for the temps to reach that high then they would set the fan to come on at lower temps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2GHz | 1GB RAM | 256MB VRAM | Mac OS X 10.4.7
it's not dangerous to play with the fans using smcFanControl (one I use) since "smc" was released by Apple for developers to come up with an application that will help in resolving heat issues.

OP
C

canadian_eh

coach_z said:
buy a more expensive computer which you may not entirely need just so you can control its fans, make them run more, wear them out faster and use more battery while making your fans spin more than they should?

i am so confused
-chris

No, I'm not thinking about buying a MBP just because of the fans.
There are so many other things. Like being able to run Windows, with Boot Camp or Parallels, rather than Virtual PC. Front Row. Better Performance. Fan Control. Light keyboard. The list goes on.
But the biggest thing is being able to run Windows at a reasonable speed. With Virtual PC it's hard to just check out a website, because it will only let me give it 500MB of memory and 16MB of VRAM to use.
If I wanted a fan control that bad, I'd buy a USB fan. :)

OP
C

canadian_eh

christm said:
i just leave it to the ibook. if apple thought it was too dangerous for the temps to reach that high then they would set the fan to come on at lower temps
I don't think it's dangerous, but when I'm sitting on the couch doing some work on Flash and Photoshop, sweat is almost inevitable within about half an hour ot an hour.
But like I said before, USB fan could solve that problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I always put a book underneath my iBook back when I had it and I do the same with my Macbook.

If you think the iBook is warm on your legs, the Macbook Pro gets unbearably hot! (IMO).

Running the fans might cool it down a bit, but the iBook will still be cooler overall!

OP
C

canadian_eh

Aptmunich said:
I always put a book underneath my iBook back when I had it and I do the same with my Macbook.

If you think the iBook is warm on your legs, the Macbook Pro gets unbearably hot! (IMO).

Running the fans might cool it down a bit, but the iBook will still be cooler overall!

I have a stand for that, my hands are what get hot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.