Still need help installing

T

trey5498

OK, Just to recap I am tring to install OS X 10.4 on a G3 Blue and White mac that has mac OS 9.2 on it at the presant time. I had upgraded the memory to 512k and have a blank 20 gig HD to install it on.

I updated the firmware via the instal pkg from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 and it didnt take long at all, tho every thing I read said it would takes hours. It didnt even ask to restart. When I pressed and held 'C' while rebooting to get it to boot off the DVD-Rom It went to a grey screne and nothing happened. When I tried to run the install via the OS 9.2 it just told me unable to locate startup disk. I cant seem to be getting this right at all. All my experence is in Windows and PCs so I am getting a little discouraged.

What did I do wrong?

Reaction score
trey5498 said:
OK, Just to recap I am tring to install OS X 10.4 on a G3 Blue and White mac that has mac OS 9.2 on it at the presant time. I had upgraded the memory to 512k and have a blank 20 gig HD to install it on.

I updated the firmware via the instal pkg from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 and it didnt take long at all, tho every thing I read said it would takes hours. It didnt even ask to restart. When I pressed and held 'C' while rebooting to get it to boot off the DVD-Rom It went to a grey screne and nothing happened. When I tried to run the install via the OS 9.2 it just told me unable to locate startup disk. I cant seem to be getting this right at all. All my experence is in Windows and PCs so I am getting a little discouraged.

What did I do wrong?

Which blue and white have you got? The scsi one?

OP
T

trey5498

Pulse-8 said:
Which blue and white have you got? The scsi one?

It has a SCSI card in but when I chose the SCSI selection via the page above it tells me that it is not supported. I am so bloody comfused it isnt even funny

Reaction score
trey5498 said:
It has a SCSI card in but when I chose the SCSI selection via the page above it tells me that it is not supported. I am so bloody comfused it isnt even funny

I realise this might be stupid to ask, but did you download the corresponding firmware update?

I noticed there were 2 updates.

~

OP
T

trey5498

Pulse-8 said:
I realise this might be stupid to ask, but did you download the corresponding firmware update?

I noticed there were 2 updates.

~
I tried both actually. The one without the scsi did its thing in about 3 seconds and that was about it. The one with the scsi (Which my Mac does have the scsi card in it) Am I missing something?

Reaction score
trey5498 said:
I tried both actually. The one without the scsi did its thing in about 3 seconds and that was about it. The one with the scsi (Which my Mac does have the scsi card in it) Am I missing something?

What about the 20gb HD, did you install it recently? What is the format? This could be the problem.

I found this:

if yours needs a firmware update, you'll have to buy a copy of OS 9 because that is needed to run the firmware update. Maybe in the case that you did not want OS 9 but you needed a firmware update you could take it to an Apple Store and they could apply it for you [they could install OS 9 briefly, do the firmware update, and then erase OS 9]

OP
T

trey5498

Pulse-8 said:
What about the 20gb HD, did you install it recently? What is the format? This could be the problem.

I found this:

At this time the current HD is the 6 gig one that Has OS 9.2 on it. The 20 gig HD is formatted to fat 32. I realize that this is a windows format, but I was going to reformat it as a 2nd HD when I eventually got OS X installed.

I have a windows DVD working with the system to house the install dvd for OS X but it is working fine with os 9.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.