• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Home CCTV

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone advise me on how I can set up a home CCTV system using my Mac Mini? I need 6 - 6 cameras out side my house that will detect motion an be able to caputure images at night. Can I go wireless with this sort of set up?

I really new to this area so any advice or tips would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Dave

PS: This is in response to me work shop being trashed a few nights ago.

H

Hulk_SMASH

You basically need to get a PVR/DVR tuner device and the software that'll record as well as a timer box that'll switch camera feeds at whatever intervals it supports. There are a ton of products out there that do this but I don't know of any that are OSX specific. I'm sure there is one, but you'll likely have to dig. Your other option would be to install bootcamp and XP then be able to use pretty much any off the shelf one. Usually though after it's all said and done, you're better off just getting a cheap VCR with the longest tape you can find and the cameras and the feed switching box. Where are you at? My brother co-owns a locksmithing service that does this type of work and will travel pretty much anywhere in OH, KY, IN, IL, TN, MO, WV or western NC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.