Old CanoScan D660U

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 3.1, 2.2 GHz, 4 GB, 7200 RPM 200 GB HD
Any idea how to get this CanoScan D660U to work on my iMac G5?

The original software disc requires OS 9 and I'm not about to install Classic just for this scanner. I've plugged the scanner in but nothing happens, not even after a restart. Image Capture says "No Image Capture device connected."

I've gone to the Canon website and downloaded the new drivers. When I try to install them they ask for an install location. I have no idea where this should be. I tried the applications folder but I get the error message "Cannot access a file named 'CANON CanoScan D660U N.' (Error Code =-5000)" The Canon website has no instructions on where to install the drivers.

What am I doing wrong? Or is the scanner just not compatible, though it must be if Canon has drivers for OS X. The scanner does work when plugged into a PC.

Reaction score
Don't put it in Applications, just select your hard drive and click install. It should install them in the right place, probably somewhere in /Library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.