XP Pro - OSX Printer Sharing

O

opium43

I know there are countless threads of the same topic as mine, none of which have the same problem as I do, so hear me out.

I have a printer connected (usb - Canon ip4200) to my OSX machine which is networked (through an adsl router) to my XP Pro machine. The network is flawless; as file sharing (with 'Windows File Sharing' enabled on the OSX machine) etc is perfect.

However, I am simply unable to get the printer working from the XP Pro machine. Initially I just installed the network printer on the XP Pro machine with the wizzard. From here I could see the printer and even 'print' to it. However, when I did this nothing happened. The task appeared momentarily in the que on the XP pro machine but then nothing happened, no error, nothing.

I then installed bonjour for windows which gave me another printer setup wizzard which I utilized (after uninstalling the old printer) to a little bit of progress. Now, when I print from the XP Pro machine the task appears (albeit momentarily) in the OSX que but then dissapears again.

(Obviously the printer is working fine when printing from the OSX machine.)

Anyone have any ideas?!

Reaction score
opium43 said:
I know there are countless threads of the same topic as mine, none of which have the same problem as I do, so hear me out.

I have a printer connected (usb - Canon ip4200) to my OSX machine which is networked (through an adsl router) to my XP Pro machine. The network is flawless; as file sharing (with 'Windows File Sharing' enabled on the OSX machine) etc is perfect.

However, I am simply unable to get the printer working from the XP Pro machine. Initially I just installed the network printer on the XP Pro machine with the wizzard. From here I could see the printer and even 'print' to it. However, when I did this nothing happened. The task appeared momentarily in the que on the XP pro machine but then nothing happened, no error, nothing.

I then installed bonjour for windows which gave me another printer setup wizzard which I utilized (after uninstalling the old printer) to a little bit of progress. Now, when I print from the XP Pro machine the task appears (albeit momentarily) in the OSX que but then dissapears again.

(Obviously the printer is working fine when printing from the OSX machine.)

Anyone have any ideas?!

G'day opium43, I don't have an explanation but I have had a lot of trouble printing from my iMac to a canon printer connected to my PC.

The only success I had was when I actually connected the printer to the iMac. I could then successfully print from the PC and the iMac.

I haven't a clue how it works but it does. When I printed from my mac the writing was microscopic and took up only a quarter of the page and nothing I did could fix it, so I reversed the config.

This works for me 'cos both computers are near to each other but it might not be the same in your case.

~

OP
H

Hulk_SMASH

Your task is never making it to the printer. Try remapping the printer via an TCP/IP port rather than by a network share name and I'll bet that it works.

OP
H

Hulk_SMASH

Here goes:

1. Go to add printer wizard
2. choose local printer instead of network
3. mark the create new port button
4. use the drop down to select standard tcp/ip
5. click next, it asks for a port name enter the ip address of the printer
6. continue the printer wizard as normal
7. if the printer does not have its' own ip address then put in the ip address of the machine the printer is connected to with a slash and the printer name ie: 10.2.12.7\mysharedprinter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.