Problem with Right-Click in Finder

Reaction score
When I ctrl-click (or right click with my 2 button mouse, same thing) on the desktop, my entire finder reloads. The desktop goes blank (all the icons disapear), any open finder windows close, and all the icons on the desktop reload (the windows are forever lost).

What in the world is going on? I have the following apps running, according to Activity Monitor:

1817 Activity Monitor
1815 Finder
887 diskimages-helpe
881 mdimport
467 Safari
466 UniversalAccessApp
465 Gmail Notifier
464 Desktop Manager
463 System Events
462 iTunes Helper
458 SystemUIServer
457 Dock
453 pbs
444 loginwindow
67 ATSServer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Restart the computer, first.
If it still persists after a restart, try relaunching Finder from the Force Quit menu.
If its still happening, repair permissions.
If it is still happening after that, try trashing your Finder prefs.

OP
P
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Restart the computer, first.
If it still persists after a restart, try relaunching Finder from the Force Quit menu.
If its still happening, repair permissions.
If it is still happening after that, try trashing your Finder prefs.
I did all of that, and I trashed my Caché, but the problem persists.

BTW, the problem is only present on my user account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well then, if it is only on your user account, it is clearly in ONE of your preferences. If you can create another account and all is well, perhaps you should just accept it and switch to a new account? If you love your current account's name, just delete it after you have moved yourself to the new account, and then recreate another new account with the same name. I know that this sounds like a lot of work, but probably less, and less frustrating, than hunting through your existing preferences for the one that is causing the issue. It is frequently easier to go around a problem then go through it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Restart and hold down the SHIFT key while the machine reboots. This boots you into "Safe" mode and bypasses the startup items. If it does it then, then you probably need to reinstall the OS, if it doesn't, then it's one of your startup items. You can remove them 1 by 1 until you find the culprit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.