can i have help please?

B

bitofanoob

as my user name says i'm not ver clued up on my mac's and stuff. i am though a casual graphic designer, starting at uni next year. i want to get myself a mac book. i can't afford a pro being a student :ninja:

when will the best time be for me to buy a mac book? i.e will there be a new operating system out soon? will mac books be making any advancments soon etc.

i just don't want to go and buy one now, not knowing they may be better in a few months.

thanks for any help,

Noob.

OP
H

Hulk_SMASH

Well, with computers they will ALWAYS be better/cheaper in a few months, that is just a fact of life. With the Core2Duo Meroms just being put into the books recently I think the only big thing coming soon is the OSX upgrade. I wouldn't wait around just for that if you need a machine.

OP
B

bitofanoob

thanks for the quick response. it's not hugley urgent. i'd like to familiarise (sp) myself with it before uni etc though. the only mac experience i have is a few weeks working as a gfx designer through the summer. i reckon around february time at the latest is when i want to get one. should i wait for the upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apple is saying the upgrade will be in the Spring, so Feb may be before it's avialable. I'd say get it when you can and not worry to much about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Hulk_SMASH said:
Well, with computers they will ALWAYS be better/cheaper in a few months, that is just a fact of life. With the Core2Duo Meroms just being put into the books recently I think the only big thing coming soon is the OSX upgrade. I wouldn't wait around just for that if you need a machine.

Only the iMac got the Merom. The Books still have the Yonah.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Even if they do upgrade the OS after you have brought the computer, which is likely, yours will still be able to run the new OS with no problems.

OP
B

bitofanoob

ah ok. a macbook it is for me then. i'll get one asap. cheers for the help everyone.

Reaction score
bitofanoob said:
ah ok. a macbook it is for me then. i'll get one asap. cheers for the help everyone.

I raced out when I could finally afford the mac I wanted, only to realise a week later that they had just released the next model which had more features and was within my initial priceframe! Since then (the past 10mths) there's been so much advancement it's still bleeding.....I'm happy waiting for the bleeding to return to cutting edge tech, if it ever will....

~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Pulse-8 said:
I raced out when I could finally afford the mac I wanted, only to realise a week later that they had just released the next model which had more features and was within my initial priceframe! Since then (the past 10mths) there's been so much advancement it's still bleeding.....I'm happy waiting for the bleeding to return to cutting edge tech, if it ever will....

~

Didn't you have 14 days to return yours at no cost to you, to allow you to get the newer one?

t

Reaction score
mac747 said:
Didn't you have 14 days to return yours at no cost to you, to allow you to get the newer one?

t

Could have, but I didn't find out about the new model nor did I even think I could return mine unless it was faulty.

~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.