Music Players for OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am looking for a freeware music player for OS X, an alternate to iTunes to play my MP3 files (iTunes doesn't seem to like one of my MP3s and I want to test whether it is the file or whether it is iTunes). Hopefully dedicated just to playing music (no need for video), and thus not too large. Can anyone suggest any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
try to play it in quicktime

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks trpnmonkey41 - it works great. I have always thought of QuickTime as a video player; I had never considered it for audio only.

...and it plays the file just fine. iTunes does not. I am sure it used to before the iTunes 7 update. One more issue against iTunes 7 I guess. I have heard that there are more than just one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you tried letting iTunes reconvert the song again? That helps on occasion. IOt won't mess up the original copy and will just produce a new file that may be playable in iTunes.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An update. I just discovered from another post here on this forum *today* a small simple player called Cog. Downloaded it, tried it, it is great.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss, can you clarify? I am not sure what you mean by reconvert. The file in question is an MP3 that I ripped myself off of an old vinyl 45. I just imported it into iTunes. Are you suggesting a re-import?

Reaction score
I've been using Cog for the past 3 weeks, and its finally me off big time.

On my macbook (2ghz,512mb) it takes a good 5 mins to load my 3000 songs. Whereas winamp (in windows) took about 3 secs. Have gone back to itunes and its ok, not great but better than cog.

Also cogs shuffle is a bit buggy, when you have it selected it will just change the song to a different random song within that album, and never goes outside of that album unless you actually select another song, and then it stays in THAT album. :dummy:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.