Tiger install can't see my Hard disk

U

ukplc

Hello. I got a Powerbook G4 (12") from a friend with a broken hard drive. I have replaced the hard drive, and now I'm trying to install OSX 10.4. But at the screen that says "select volume to install OSX on," nothing is displayed.
The Apple website suggested the Hard drive might have been set to slave, but I ran the disk utility and this isn't the case.
Here are the details:

Drive model: Hitachi HTS541060G9AT00
Revision: MB30A60A
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not supported.

Disk utility gives the following...
Connection ID: Device 0
Device Tree: pci2/ata-6@D/@0:0
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Disc Number: 0

The Hitachi website says there are no drivers I can download, they are in the operating system apparently. It says something about 'initializing' the disk with Disk Utility. I didn't see anything in Disk Utility that would let me do that. Can anyone help? I'd really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Open Disk Utility, click on the drive. Click on the tab that says erase. Give it a name and click on erase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea it appears that you need to simply format the drive
-chris

OP
U

ukplc

Yep, you were absolutely right, that was all I needed to do. Now I've installed Tiger and everything is working fine.
Thanks a lot for helping out a clueless Mac-newbie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.