Programs not responding

Reaction score
I recently got my 24" Imac this past monday. This is my first mac and absolutely love it.

Ocasionally, serveral of the programs will not respond and close unexpectedly (reminds me of windows) and want's me to send a report to Apple.

It doesn't seem to matter which program it is,
It's been programs like iphoto, console, camino, system preferences.

Any idea's?

Should I re-installed OSX when I got the computer?

The only outside program I have installed is MSN 4 mac and Camino. Everything else was installed by Apple.

-jeremy-

Reaction score
my computer has been doing the same thing but with Safari. i am curious as to why it would do this when it is a program that is supposed to be stable when running on my mac. i have not done any upgrades for my computer since i had gotten it shipped in. ive owned it for about 3-3.5 weeks now and love it, but am curious about this problem. thanks in advance!

OP
The Applenator
Reaction score
Forgot to post my OSX version.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8L2127)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.8.1

Not sure if this helps...
I've got some people that want to come over and see this thing, but now i'm nervous about these programs not responding.
I've been hyping up the MAC for about 5 months now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Strange. Should work perfectly, with no need to reinstall anything.

Do they just crash out to the desktop with the unexpectedly quit message? Could be a dodgy memory module, which isn't unheard of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
How many programs are running when this occurs?

I am very surprised to hear that safari and iPhoto would crash. What exactly are you doing on your computer when this happens?

Reaction score
jdgaines said:
How many programs are running when this occurs?

I am very surprised to hear that safari and iPhoto would crash. What exactly are you doing on your computer when this happens?

im usually using just safari with about 3 tabs open, adium, and itunes, and then safari will unexpectedly crash out on me then i have to do a force quit

OP
The Applenator
Reaction score
There are only about 3 programs that running at this time. And the programs do crash and leave unexpectedly, and then it asks me if I want to send a report to "apple".
For iphoto, the only thing I am doing is just surfing my library of pictures and then sometimes that "pinwheel" will appear and stay there for a good while, and then when I go to "force quit" after realizing nothing is happening, it says it's "not responding".
Also the when I search for pictures on for my desktop in the iphoto library it does the same thing.
Unfortunaley it's just not iphoto that does it.

I have 2gb of memory upgraded from Apple, when I ordered it. So it's nothing i've upgraded myself. But the more I think about it, I may have some bad upgraded ram from Apple.

Even though I bought from apple.com, I should be able to take it into a Apple store with no problems right?

-jeremy-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
They'll help you at the Apple Store.

Apple just buy memory off the shelf, so you could have a dodgy module, or two different brands that don't get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
I have had this problem with Safari but no other program, normall happens if I have two or more TABs open and iTunes running, no idea why. I have checked to see if I have run out of RAM but it shows it has normally (such as now) about 230MB left.

OP
The Applenator
Reaction score
I just called the Apple store here in Houston. They said to bring it on in, to them it sounded like maybe a bad memory stick. He said nothing should be shutting down unexpectedly.
So I will bring it to the store this weekend to have them check it out.
Will keep you guys posted as to what the fix is.

-jeremy-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.