Printing Problems

L

luigihip

I am on a G5 iMac and printing to a Canon iP6000D (7 color) printer. I am having the hardest time printing and getting a print that even SOMEWHAT resembles what is on screen. Now I've heard the whole "calibrate your screen" line but I'm not trying to be PERFECT and I don't have money to invest in that right now. All I know is that I can see detail in my shadows and nothing is "blocking" up on the screen, but on the prints the shadows are BLACKS. Very frustrating. Does my printer suck horriblely or can I get it to work for me?

My Canon 1D MkII is set to Adobe RGB 1998.

CONVERT TO PROFILE or ASSIGN PROFILE. When in Photoshop, what should I set this to? My profiles list Adobe RGB 1998, sRGB, Canon iP6000D MP2, PR1, PR3, SP2, SP3, BJ Color Printer profile 2000, among many others... I am confused! Too many choices!

PRINT WITH PREVIEW. Now, I can let the printer "determine the colors" or have Photoshop determine the colors. Who decides? THEN, I get to pick the profile again. Should this match the working profile? "Black Point Compression" check box? Huh?

I need help. Please don't tell me to calibrate my screen. I already know that part! : )

PLEASE HELP!

-Justin

ADD ON: I have searched for "Paper profiles" and have found nothing. I am printing on Epson Matte Heavyweight photo paper, but would gladly switch if it would make printing any easier! I have been printing RAW files saved as PSDs and in 8bit RGB mode. I swear this printer used to make amazing photos that I have had accepted into galleries! Now I am disgusted by what I have seen from it lately. What did I do wrong? haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
You should always convert your images to cmyk to print, if you do convert to cmyk use the color profile US Webcoated swop 2, thats not typed exactly but when you read it thats what it is. If you do print with rgb, use the profile sRGB. Let photoshop determine the colors, and hopefully your prints will come out better.

as far as paper that paper should be fine, just make sure you change the paper type from automatic to photopaper, matte.

OP
L

luigihip

PunkRockTuba said:
You should always convert your images to cmyk to print, if you do convert to cmyk use the color profile US Webcoated swop 2, thats not typed exactly but when you read it thats what it is. If you do print with rgb, use the profile sRGB. Let photoshop determine the colors, and hopefully your prints will come out better.

as far as paper that paper should be fine, just make sure you change the paper type from automatic to photopaper, matte.

I'll give that a try tonight. Thanks for the tip!

-Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.