Firefox exploits holes from XP?

Reaction score
My friend has just bought a Mac Book Pro and he likes it and all. He said I could play around with it and install programs. I saw that he did not have firefox on his computer so I installed it. I showed him what I installed and he was fine with everything except firefox. I use Mac, Windows, and Linux all the time and this is the only internet browser that works on all systems. (Yeah I know there is opera but it is not me) Plus I love the extinctions. Well he seemed to go off on me never to install that again because it exploits holes that are in windows XP. He some how reasoned that Windows had its problem because of firefox. I serious doubt that firefox has any major security flaw on OS X. Can anyone enlighten me if there are any security problems with firefox on OS X. or if there is some reason I should always use Safari over Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I was always under the impression that firefox was pretty much the most secure browser out there for ANY operating system.

In addition to that, there's a plugin I use for firefox which shows exactly which scripts are running for each page, and you can choose to allow them or not. So for a site I'll only visit once, I don't bother, but if it's a site I frequent, I'll allow the scripts there (excluding ads) - that way, you always know what's running and if it's something you should be avoiding.

I believe Firefox is much safer and more secure than IE for example.

I haven't heard any security problems with Firefox on macs. I don't use it all that often, because I find safari MUCH faster, but it's still a good app. I don't think you've anything to worry about with firefox. Considering there aren't any real viruses for mac (or rather, none that affect macs) there's not much one could do to attack a mac throug firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Exactly how or why would a hole or exploit in Windows have anything to do with Mac OS?
:black:
Oh, and your friend obviously has no idea what he is talking about because he seems to contradict himself...
Well he seemed to go off on me never to install that again because it exploits holes that are in windows XP. He some how reasoned that Windows had its problem because of firefox.
In order for Firefox to exploit a flaw, that flaw would have to be there prior to Firefox being installed. Windows doesn't have security issues because of Firefox... Windows just has security issues period. It would seem that in the same breath, your friend says that Windows has its problem with security holes and flaws because of Firefox....but, Firefox exploits holes that were already there in Windows??? Seems like he can't get his "facts" straight. :scratches head:
:black:

OP
J
Reaction score
I have not used safari very little and do not know if it has extinctions or if block images like firefox can can?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Safari can't by itself, but you can do it with third party apps like, SafariStand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Just wondering, dont' u mean extensions and not extinctions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
K, just wondering if there was a new update or something lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.