Limited to no connectivity **WiFi Questions**

E

ExTrEmE

Ok right now im using a netgear wifi router. im trying to get the macbook to get connected to the network but when i added it the computer reads it as limited or no connectivity(this is on the window's side) but when i insert the wep key on the mac side it doesnt even find it. Do i need to buy the AirPort Express to get the internet working? Will the AirPort Express solve everything??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
What's the distance between the Wireless router and the MacBook. It can happen due to low signal strength.

OP
E

ExTrEmE

the router and the laptop is a good 3 feet lol other dell laptops connect fine without a problem with full strength

OP
H

Hulk_SMASH

Sometimes PCs and routers use WEP with 40-bit or 64-bit enryption, the Mac only supports 128-bit. You need to check your router config by logging into http://router.net from a machine connected with cat5 and then check to see what form of WEP you're using. I'll bet it's WEP-64bit, I would switch it over to WPA as it is more secure and more compatible, but if yu must use WEP, make sure it is 128bit.

OP
E

ExTrEmE

Well i checked it out and its set at 128 bit and we dont have WPA so i have to use WEP

OP
E

ExTrEmE

hmm i just sent my macbook for repairs i guess i should i add that in there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
nope, I use 64bit wep on my dlink router. I spent a few hours with this problem. put you network passcode in quotes only on the mac.

Ex. "passcode"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Netgear routers are notorious for being garbage. It could very well be the problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
schweb said:
Netgear routers are notorious for being garbage. It could very well be the problem.

Especially a lot of the newer Netgears I have had to set up. Some work ok out of the box but then slowly go down hill. My friends Netgear 54G router after a few months started to overheat and lock up over and over. I would also check to be sure it's not the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
dtravis7 said:
Especially a lot of the newer Netgears I have had to set up. Some work ok out of the box but then slowly go down hill. My friends Netgear 54G router after a few months started to overheat and lock up over and over. I would also check to be sure it's not the router.

hmm reminds me of my old linksys router.

OP
E

ExTrEmE

well i went to buy a AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port)
The thing was i got it for 45.00 so i bought it. so how do i set it up now? my macbook is out for repairs but i should get it on tuesday or so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.