imac 333 dead

J

jonmichael23

my friends imac 333 mhz is dead. He got the 600 g3 harmoni upgrade, installed it without any troubles, and it worked in os 9. We had OS 9.1 and tried installing panther. The first disc installed fine, it restarted, and came up with put in disc 2. We put in disc 2, it acted like it was trying to read the cd, and it sat there for 10 minutes, after trying to put cd back in again to see if it would work nothing happened, so we had no choice but to quit the installer. After doing this the screen went black and white numbers started filling the screen. Whenever we unplugged it and turned it back on, it started in os x went to the startup screen and then back to the black screen with the scrolling numbers. I tried holding down the mouse after turning it off and back on again, but the cd didnt come out. What are the keys you hold down to select the startup disc? Since os 9 is still on the drive i was going to start up in os 9, and redo the os x installation, but forgot what keys you hold down to select the start up disc. Any help appreciated!

Jonathan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am not sure of the keys for OS 9 but the problem you ran into is that panther does not support and upgraded processors as it says on the website

"Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards"

OP
J

jonmichael23

yeah...........

jaguars box says the same exact thing, as does puma.........anyone know the keystrokes to boot up in os 9 is the real question here? also, the website for sonnet says its compatible with panther as well. Apple site says upgrade cards not supported, meaning if u have a problem and call them looking for an answer, theyre not gonna be able to help you. Anyone else try this upgrade/have similiar problems or know how to fix it? Again, thanks...........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Holding the option key while starting allows you to select a start up disk (on some computers)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
You might need to reset the PRAM.

Reset PRAM
At startup hold ? + Option + P + R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, my command symbol showed up as a "?".

it should be Command + Option + P + R

OP
J

jonmichael23

its a miracle

no keyboard shortcuts worked, whenever it went to the scrolling letters screen i started typing in stuff and saw that it was working, i was just typing every single thing and then i hit enter and i have no idea why or how but it went back to the blue screen, and then the login box popped up and asked for a password and when i put in my friends password it said a password could not be accepted at this time and then it just went to the desktop picture and the finder started and then went away, but the disc drive finally opened, i put the 1st installl disc back in, unplugged it, started it up and held i think x to start up from the disc, it took a while , but it finally did, it installed 3/4ths of the way, and again an error message popped up, so we restarted again and when we clicked customize to get rid of languages and stuff it said the essential system software was already installed and the only thing left to install was additional applications, and when it started installing it just went to the end but again an error message came up, this time when we restarted panther came up and it logged in and there was the finder and the dock, and the dock was on the left side of the screen? All the apps were installed (imovie, iphoto, ichat av, safari, stuffit, etc.) even tho it never did read disc two? also, msn messenger was in the dock? My friend had 10.2.8 jaguar with messenger installed, but he had clean installed os 9 so he could put in the processor? but then in os 9 it still had msn messenger, safari, etc in the applications folder. God only knows what happened or how the computer basically fixed itself, put the processor works and its much better, and also before when my friend just had os 9 installed, there was 4.1 gb disk space left (6 gb hard drive) and in os x, it said 4.25? we seriously still cant comprehend what happened, and it is a miracle that it works fine now.......... Now my friend finally doesnt have to bring his cds to my house, import them all his songs, put them on his ipod, now he can use the ipod on his mac (the sonnet 600 g3 upgrade comes with a firewire 400 port, i know this sounds weird but its true - http://www.sonnettech.com/product/harmoni_g3.html) anyway, in the end everything turned out fine, only took 5 hours to get panther installed :D.im still trying to figure out how all this happened......it doesnt make much sense at all

Jon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.