Troubles!!

L

Lurkstatus

Hi, I have been an avid Windows user for quite some time now and recently made the switch to a Mac. However, I recently let me Father barrow my Macbook Pro while I was away in Europe and when I returned I went to turn my computer on and it asked for a password before even entering my desktop. My Father says he has no idea how it had happened so I was wondering if their is any way of re-installing OS tiger without knowing "my password" that I didn't even put on there!!! Frustrating. I have the Tiger install DVD, but like I said, I can't even access it becuase I can't get to my desktop to open the folder. I'm ready to do anything, as in lose all data stored just to be able to use my computer again! Please, if anyone can help let me know, THANKS!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am assuming it is a log in pass word. If that is the case, you can use the install media to reset the pass word. Once you have done that you can then log in and enable the auto log on.

Using the install media, boot as if you were going to install the OS. Under the install drop down menu, you should see reset pass word. Reset your pass word and then reboot your system to see if you can log in.

OP
L

Lurkstatus

rman said:
If that is the case, you can use the install media to reset the pass word.

I would do that but I can't even get to my desktop to open the install DVD folder for MAC OS Tiger so I can reset the password. I'm stuck at the beginning of the startup where it asks me for my user name and password which I never even set myself cause my dad is not to computer savvy. anyways, I hope this makes sense, and thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Lurkstatus said:
I would do that but I can't even get to my desktop to open the install DVD folder for MAC OS Tiger so I can reset the password. I'm stuck at the beginning of the startup where it asks me for my user name and password which I never even set myself cause my dad is not to computer savvy. anyways, I hope this makes sense, and thanks for the reply.

Correct me if I'm wrong rman.

I think you need to put the install DVD into the drive and reboot pressing C when the Mac restarts. Then follow rmans other instructions.

~

OP
L

Lurkstatus

Pulse-8 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong rman.

I think you need to put the install DVD into the drive and reboot pressing C when the Mac restarts. Then follow rmans other instructions.

~

I have tried to do that, however holding down "C" while rebooting does not work, it still goes straight to the user name and password before the desktop can boot.I always thought that by holding down C that it should work, but for some reason it doesn't. I must be doing something wrong.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure you have the first install disk that came with your system. I believe that is the only one that is bootable. Also you may want to make sure your install media is clean, to be on the safe side.

As for the log in name, I am assuming that you only have one user account on your system. If this is not the case. I believe you can use the short name, the one your home folder is called.

OP
L

Lurkstatus

rman said:
Make sure you have the first install disk that came with your system. I believe that is the only one that is bootable.

I don't have the first install disk that I used for my computer, I'm borrowing a install dvd os tiger from a friend. So you are saying that without the first install dvd that CAME with my computer I can't do anything????

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will need an install disk from a MacBook Pro. If they are like mine (Powermac) then the first is the install disk and the second has the optioanl software.

OP
L

Lurkstatus

rman said:
You will need an install disk from a MacBook Pro. If they are like mine (Powermac) then the first is the install disk and the second has the optioanl software.

When you say Install disk for macbook pro, do you mean the Mac OSX tiger? because, I bought the macbook pro from a friend. I just bought a brand new sealed MacOs X tiger from ebay and hopefully that should solve my problems.

OP
L

Lurkstatus

I was wondering if I need the two Macbook Pro Install disks to re-install Mac OS X tiger. Because I just bought a sealed Mac OS X Tiger from ebay. I was wondering if the new Tiger that I bought will come with the install disks or if I have to go buy macbook install disks from ebay as well. thanks for all the help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the Mac OS X tiger disk you purchase the Intel version?

Remeber there are two versions of tiger (Intel and PPC).

OP
L

Lurkstatus

rman said:
Is the Mac OS X tiger disk you purchase the Intel version?

Remeber there are two versions of tiger (Intel and PPC).

I Just realized that I purchased a PPC version of Mac OS X. I'm in the process of refunding my money. I just found two install DVDS for a Macbook Pro on ebay selling at auction. I'm going for those. I'm pretty sure that once I get those MAcBook PRo install DVDs, then my problems should be fixed, don't you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
It should fix your problem. Remember, starting from the DVD is independent of the settings of your installed OS system. Therefore if you have the correct disc, you should be able to boot from that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.