You've almost got me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Woah, I guess I'm out of the loop a little. Didn't know about that.

OP
N

nesdon

OSX crash at the apple store

So, I went back a few times to the apple store to play with their Macbooks. I was being a bit confounded with multitasking, as I am used to being able to place and size a number of program windows, and move easily between them with my mouse. The way the header always keeps the menu of the active application in the same location was confusing me, and so when the salesperson asked if I needed help, I asked him.

He showed me the option tab thing, then some f9 function that he couldn't get to work (this morning a friend showed me how to "toss" things off the desktop to get a tiled overview. Sweet) so he called a more experienced salesperson, who pointed out the the F keys have dedicated functions that you have to turn off in the sys prefs to get the f9 thing to work.

But, the pin wheel just kept spinnign and spinning even tho he had closed all the apps I had opened, and he had to restart the machine. When i said, "well so much for stabiltiy." He complained that i had opened too many memory intensive programs, and was defensively claiming that it had not really crashed, in that it was not at a blue screen of death, and the mouse driver was still working, but that slowing down so much as to become useless, was somehow less egregious.

I suppose some of this is actually apple's fault with their cute and false commercials implying that OSX is crash proof so that when the inevitable happens, the poor guy got all embarassed and huffy.

It did pretty much cinch my decision, I will not switch. I've struggled every time I need a new machine. This time, I suppose, like most of the others it will come down to the money. I can get a refurbed dell running a duo processor at 2 ghz with a 120 gb drive and a dvdrw for like $800. For the macbook pro I'd be in at elast $1700 even with an edu discount on a refurb or a used amchine, and then software costs.

Too bad, they are sexy machines and I do hate windows security problems, but then again, Vista's there, and it will likey be much safer.

Thanks to those of you who actually offered help rather than just flaming me, adieu

OP
S

sursuciofla

nesdon said:
He showed me the option tab thing, then some f9 function that he couldn't get to work (this morning a friend showed me how to "toss" things off the desktop to get a tiled overview. Sweet) so he called a more experienced salesperson, who pointed out the the F keys have dedicated functions that you have to turn off in the sys prefs to get the f9 thing to work.

That's Expose...Salespeople are not experts so I wouldn't judge too much there!

But, the pin wheel just kept spinnign and spinning even tho he had closed all the apps I had opened, and he had to restart the machine. When i said, "well so much for stabiltiy." He complained that i had opened too many memory intensive programs, and was defensively claiming that it had not really crashed, in that it was not at a blue screen of death, and the mouse driver was still working, but that slowing down so much as to become useless, was somehow less egregious.

Yeah and when you have a lot of Apps open simultaneously and only 512 RAM that happens. Sorry to burst your bubble but this happens with any computer.

I suppose some of this is actually apple's fault with their cute and false commercials implying that OSX is crash proof so that when the inevitable happens, the poor guy got all embarassed and huffy.

Apple never claims this in their commercial, don't know what you are watching. And God himself doesn't make Apple products so no it's not perfect! Sorry to burst your bubble. And what you said is not a crash of the computer, it is a crash of the App. Refer to previous reply on why the App crashed.

It did pretty much cinch my decision, I will not switch. I've struggled every time I need a new machine. This time, I suppose, like most of the others it will come down to the money. I can get a refurbed dell running a duo processor at 2 ghz with a 120 gb drive and a dvdrw for like $800. For the macbook pro I'd be in at elast $1700 even with an edu discount on a refurb or a used amchine, and then software costs.

Whatever. A decision is a decision. Don't need to convince anyone but yourself.

Too bad, they are sexy machines and I do hate windows security problems, but then again, Vista's there, and it will likey be much safer.

After years and years at it they better have an improved product...I mean shouldn't be any excuses. Of course it is an OS X knockoff so hey it should be a lot better.

Thanks to those of you who actually offered help rather than just flaming me, adieu

You pretty much flamed yourself. After this post I can see why Baggs brought the Pain. Your comments are pretty much way off base. No need to be defensive or defend why you like Windows. Nobody really cares. Nobody here that is sane thinks Apple is God, so we know Mac's arent perfection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Be honest... you were simply trolling weren't you???
You did a really good job pretending to be genuine, but slipping in your contemp for Apple and Apple users in every post. I admit, I fell for it for a while. Remember... These are JUST computers, whether they're Mac, PC, whatever... just computers... They are fun, and can be extremely helpful in life... but in the end, just a pile of hardware & software mashed together.

Good day sir.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I for one was never fooled, so long.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Nesdon this is why you never argue with an idiot...

Refer to your pointless rep comment which you left me which I took off here b/c it is rubbish. Thanks for the gray dot.

Nobody ever said OS X was better. It is just that figment of your imagination OR lack there of...If it makes you happy to say this kind of rubbish then that's your level. Hope your comment makes you feel a little better of yourself. Buh-Bye!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
1.) Post a link to the refurbished dell LAPTOP with all the aforementioned specs for under 800, since you are comparing it to a macbook pro which is, in fact a laptop.
2.) Post a link to a NEW dell laptop with specs aforementioned since you were going to buy a new macbook.
3.) Buy that laptop that you post a link to.

If you can do any one of those I applaud you.

Reaction score
Finally the troll leaves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I think this thread has gone as far as it needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.