spots like the powerbook

R

ravenstor

says it all really, getting white spots like the powebook issue got one the first week and now got another week 4, right side facing.

both spots lower third right side.

return or live with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
turn off the computer and try massaging the area. I have never had the problem but have heard lots of success stories with massaging

You can't return it until there are 7 spots

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I had one point, the massaging worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I thought the massaging was for dead pixels not the white spots...

OP
P

PRinMD

OK whats with the massaging, I know you are suppose to love your mac but caressing it? LOL Hey I need a good massage after work :) OK all kidding aside, just noticed on my ibook a tiny dot on the screen, would that be a dead pixel, **** my mac is only 2 months young, that would not be cool. So this massaging thing could probably help out???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Murlyn said:
I thought the massaging was for dead pixels not the white spots...

I had a stick blue pixel on may screen. Massaging it resolved the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok that's what I was thinking, I didnt think the white spots that has been infecting recent powerbooks could be solved by massaging. And yes PRinMD I massage my powerbook.. even though it doesnt have any dead pixels *grin*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Sorry to pull out the "golden shovel" and dig this thread up, but I have the white spot problem on my 12" iBook which I bought in January '05. Any time I bring up a white screen (e.g., in PhotoShop, Pages) you can see these splotches across the bottom third of the screen, with smaller ones elsewhere on the display.

The Genius at the Apple Store looked at it for about 15 seconds and said "Yeah, this is wrong. We'll send it in for you." Now, the Service Depot says they can't reproduce the problem and they want to send it back to the store as "no problem found." After a few minutes on the phone with the Apple Customer Service rep he took down some more info to add to the service ticket and claims they'll look at it again.

Meanwhile, my aggravation grows.

Does anyone know any more about the white-spot problem as it relates to iBooks, or am I just experiencing a one-off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
So this is a common problem. I thought the spots were due to coffee 'particles' sticking to the screen and diffracted light rays.

btw, massaging helped a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
anyone have a pic of these so called spots?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I get the iBook back from Apple as "no problem found" I'll take a photo and post it.

Then I'll bring it to my local Apple Store and show potential customers what Apple calls an "acceptable" display. :)

The spots look like scuffs on the screen-- as if someone had rubbed very fine sandpaper in a circle in various locations of the screen, making these areas whiter than its surroundings. The difference is they're not scuffs-- they're actually part of the LCD display itself.

btw, thanks, Jack-- I may try that if Apple doesn't fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a quick update: Apple replaced the LCD screen on my iBook as a warranty repair.

So I suppose I won't be posting photos of the white blotches. :)

OP
R

ravenstor

caribiner23 said:
Just a quick update: Apple replaced the LCD screen on my iBook as a warranty repair.

So I suppose I won't be posting photos of the white blotches. :)

dont count on it, i did, but within days they came back...not as bad but as its out of warranty i just live with it, its annoying though as its intrusive on my art work when working in photoshop.

sorry but i do hope it doesnt happen to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a conversation with the IT guy from my kids' school district about this. They have a lot of iBooks and Powerbooks and I told him about what happened to mine.

He told me this is a very common problem, and he repairs a lot of these himself (because of the number of Apple products they own and the fact that they have their own technicians on site, the district qualifies as an authorized Apple Repair depot).

From his view, it's a design flaw: there's something about the way the LCD is mounted in the lid of the iBooks and PowerBooks that causes undue stress on the back of the LCD when the unit is opened and closed, which eventually causes the spots to appear on the front.

He said a couple teachers have had it happen so many times they just live with the spots now.

When I told him about Apple's refusal to admit there's a problem, he laughed and said that was par for the course, and one of the reasons they went for repair depot status for themselves.

So I guess all we can do is hope for the best if it happens to us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the info. that is very interesting

OP
E

EvoMac

Just out of curiosity can you guys elaborate on "giving it a massage". You actually rub the section of screen affected with your fingers? I don't have any noticeable white spots on my iBook lcd... but just in case in the future it might be good to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, this is what the spots look like.

This was posted by someone on Apple's Support Discussion Forums site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they are not as bad as they sound, or his werent that bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fearlessfreap24 said:
they are not as bad as they sound, or his werent that bad.

I disagree. That LCD display is completely unacceptable.

Try creating a graphic or editing a photo in Photoshop while trying to work around those white blotches-- it gets really annoying if you're trying to match colors, not to mention it just looks bad.

I carried an IBM ThinkPad T21 with me almost daily for four years, and a few other brands of notebooks before that, and none of them had a problem like this.

OP
O

october

i think even the smallest one would bug the **** out of me. Which is why im prompting the question..

I think my eMac has the same problem. It is only noticeable when the computer turns on and its on that gray screen, or if you have a solid color on the screen. But with it having a glass screen, the massage does not work of course..any suggestions?

Thankfully nothing like this has shown up on my powerbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.