Reset master password with new copy of os x?

Reaction score
My bro lost his original os x 10.2 disk and has forgotten the master password. He has bought a copy of Tiger. Will he be able to use that to reset the master password or must it be done using a 10.2 disk? If so, he's done for!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15'' 1.5 ghz 2GB ram, 80 GB HD
guyweb said:
My bro lost his original os x 10.2 disk and has forgotten the master password. He has bought a copy of Tiger. Will he be able to use that to reset the master password or must it be done using a 10.2 disk? If so, he's done for!

i just did that today. a client mac was locked down. you can install with a newer version and do the archive and install once the system its ready to go you ..go to your hard drive and have a folder with the name previous system. and your old desktop and documents are there if you need to access them do a command+i to the locked folder. and the user will appear as unknow, you just add your current username
sorry if i didnt explain myself well, english is not my first lenguage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
lok0420 said:
i just did that today. a client mac was locked down. you can install with a newer version and do the archive and install once the system its ready to go you ..go to your hard drive and have a folder with the name previous system. and your old desktop and documents are there if you need to access them do a command+i to the locked folder. and the user will appear as unknow, you just add your current username
sorry if i didnt explain myself well, english is not my first lenguage.

That's a bit complicated just to reset the password... :cool:

Just boot up with the Tiger DVD and use the "Reset Password" utility...it works also for older OS X versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15'' 1.5 ghz 2GB ram, 80 GB HD
Avalon said:
That's a bit complicated just to reset the password... :cool:

Just boot up with the Tiger DVD and use the "Reset Password" utility...it works also for older OS X versions.

where can i find that ?? for future reference
lol
i just got into this mac world like 4 months ago doing the things the hard way heh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.