MAC PRO- Configuration help?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just purchased my first Mac (Mac pro) and I’m desperately seeking a little guidance from you seasoned users.

My current setup is as follows:
Disk 1 (250)- Standard OS X install, user folders, all applications.
Disk 2 (250)- Storage drive for photography business

Here is what I want:

Disk 1 (74gig RAPTOR)- OS X & Applications
Disk 2 (250) User Folders
Disk 3 (250) Photo business

HOW?
I need to find the most efficient and reliable method to do this. Any suggestions?
Is there a way to do this without having to reinstall all of my applications?

Please be specific. I have been using MAC for about a week!

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Welcome to mac and welcome to the forms.

Disc 1: You can do this easily as this is how it will come ;)
Disc 2: You can not make osx pick put the home folder there, but you can create your own documents folders on that drive and save your stuff there. You can tell your itunes to look for the library there instead of your home folder as well.
Disc 3: Just put your business stuff there like you do on your current computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
PowerBookG4-
Thanks for the reply. Im not sure I was clear. I already have the system up and running. I'm not sure what you mean for Disc 1?

Reaction score
Your current Disk 2 will become your future Disk 3 (photo business).

Since you want the system on a new drive, you'll have to reinstall. I'm not sure whether you can just plug out and put in a different drive for the one that's in your mac. I thought the system drives was not one of the optical bays. If it is, then you can just wipe the drives, put in the 74gig drive and install OSX using the CD.
Then you will have to create aliases in the Documents folder and Home folder to data that you store on the new Disk 2.

I'm not sure how exactly you make iTunes look for it's library elsewhere, but it's been covered on the forums before...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The main hard drive is disc 1 in your system. It already has osx and your applications on it... that is what I was trying to say.

OP
M
Reaction score
Correct.

Can I just back up my user folders and install the OS to the RAPTOR. Then tell the MAC to boot from that disk (RAPTOR) and erase the original 250 afterwards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes you can. After you install all the software just copy the user folder from your backup to the correct location.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just to be sure

novicew said:
Yes you can. After you install all the software just copy the user folder from your backup to the correct location.

Based on the advice provided, this is what I plan to do:

1. Leave the current 250 with the OS and the applications untouched
2. Format the Raptor
3. Insert the installation disks and choose the RAPTOR.
4. Install the OS
5. After installation, reboot from the RAPTOR
6. Copy old User Folder to the RAPTOR
7. Format to old OS volume (250)

Is this correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
spot on. Make sure to change the default disk volume in Startup Disk tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.