Any MS Visual C++ Equivalent for Mac?

R

Remnant

Hello all,

I'm looking to switch to the Mac, however, I'm currently attending a college for my Computer Science degree. We are using MS Visual C++ in all our object oriented programming classes. Is there a Mac equivalent for Visual C++ that would basically work the same as the PC version?

Thanks!
Dan

OP
H

hokiethang

Remnant said:
Hello all,

I'm looking to switch to the Mac, however, I'm currently attending a college for my Computer Science degree. We are using MS Visual C++ in all our object oriented programming classes. Is there a Mac equivalent for Visual C++ that would basically work the same as the PC version?

Thanks!
Dan

yes, there is a development environment that is SO much better than visual C++ from MS. It is called Xcode and is a lot easier to work with when you get used to it. I currently use Xcode for my work in my CS degree, and most of our classes are taught with visual C++. It may take a little getting used to but Xcode is much easier to work with once you get familiar with it.

OP
R

Remnant

Hi Hokiethang,

Thanks for replying to my thread. I was wondering with Xcode, would my C++ source code w/ header files and output be the same as if were from a PC?

For example, if I coded C++ in Xcode, and submitted the assignment to my professor who uses a PC. Will he be able to compile it from his PC desktop, and receive the same output? Also, would the structure, classes and commands be the same, or does Mac use their own set of command names to do the same thing?

Thanks for your help,
Dan

OP
H

hokiethang

Remnant said:
Hi Hokiethang,

Thanks for replying to my thread. I was wondering with Xcode, would my C++ source code w/ header files and output be the same as if were from a PC?

For example, if I coded C++ in Xcode, and submitted the assignment to my professor who uses a PC. Will he be able to compile it from his PC desktop, and receive the same output? Also, would the structure, classes and commands be the same, or does Mac use their own set of command names to do the same thing?

Thanks for your help,
Dan

xcode uses standard c++, i have found only a few small cases where the compilers differ and in those cases it was a difference between the standard and the MS implementation. You shouldnt have a problem with submitting assignments written on a mac.

OP
S

StarManta

An additional question: Does Xcode do pure Java? By "pure Java" I mean the exact same language that you can compile from the command line ("javac program.java"), without any additional Cocoa overhead.

OP
A

AaronBrethorst

Remnant said:
Hello all,

Thanks!
Dan

You might also want to take a look at Codewarrior. I will switch off between the two depending on what I'm doing on my Mac, and I have found that Codewarrior tends to be a bit nicer for doing C++ work. XCode 1.1 is rather unstable, slow, and difficult to manage at times. I haven't upgraded to 1.2 yet, but from what I understand it takes care of some of the stability issues. You might also want to consider looking at Visual Studio 2003, it's quite a bit better than VC6 ;-).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well C++ is nice and useful, but in the Mac world - don't we wanna talk a tick more about Darwin and Applescript? And WTH is iRooster as user tag on about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
witeshark said:
Well C++ is nice and useful, but in the Mac world - don't we wanna talk a tick more about Darwin and Applescript? And WTH is iRooster as user tag on about?

Im gonna look into that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
witeshark said:
And WTH is iRooster as user tag on about?

He is a registered as a software developer and is permitted to use his own tag representing his company

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
trpnmonkey41 said:
He is a registered as a software developer and is permitted to use his own tag representing his company
Well that explains it ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.