DMG files

B

bduenskie

Hey Everyone,

I've been a PC user for the past 10 years, so pardon my stupid questions :)

One thing that's tricking me a bit is DMG files. Yes I know they're install files, but they seem to operate in different manners depending on the type of program you're installing.

Sometimes I'll open up a DMG file and I'll see a PKG file that can be used to install the program, which I get.

What I don't get though is when open a DMG file and there's no installer. I see I can double-click to run the program and an icon is created on the desktop (this happened with firefox). Do I need to leave this icon on my desktop all the time? Is there no installere with FireFox?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
bduenskie said:
Hey Everyone,

I've been a PC user for the past 10 years, so pardon my stupid questions :)

One thing that's tricking me a bit is DMG files. Yes I know they're install files, but they seem to operate in different manners depending on the type of program you're installing.

Sometimes I'll open up a DMG file and I'll see a PKG file that can be used to install the program, which I get.

What I don't get though is when open a DMG file and there's no installer. I see I can double-click to run the program and an icon is created on the desktop (this happened with firefox). Do I need to leave this icon on my desktop all the time? Is there no installere with FireFox?

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=262897&postcount=2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
just drag the app to your applications folder instead of double clicking it. then you can unmount and trash the dmg.

OP
B

bduenskie

Thanks for the help guys! I thought I'd be able to pickup the switch from XP to OS X a little easier. It's more of a steep learning curve than I had anticipated. I think I need to retrain my brain to not think everything has to be complicated. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
bduenskie said:
Just to clarify, they are not necessarily install files.
A .dmg is only a disk image. You could theoretically put anything on that disk image, it doesn't have to be an application for installation. Yes, most of them contain an application, and it is a widely used method for getting applications transferred, but that is why they seem to operate in different manners.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.