3d animation.

Reaction score
What are the best 3d animation programs out there for mac, preferably something very easy to use, nothing too complicated. Something that someone with little to no experience would find usefull.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think carrara is easy to learn for someone who just wants to fool around. Its made by eovia, and can be complicated it you need it to be, but there are plenty of tools you can use to make something with out knowlage of complex 3d software.

OP
N
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=catmain&cat=262

I'm not sure but, I think I'm blind. I don't see any demo version on there, they all the real programs that you have to purcahse. I want to test it out before I decide on purchasing it.

Can you add a direct link, perhaps ?

Reaction score
nivert said:
I'm not sure but, I think I'm blind. I don't see any demo version on there, they all the real programs that you have to purcahse. I want to test it out before I decide on purchasing it.

Can you add a direct link, perhaps ?

I found this :headphone

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you sursuciofla, I will try out blender as well :)

EDIT, Thank you pule-8 as well, I guess I was blind ;)

Reaction score
nivert said:
Thank you sursuciofla, I will try out blender as well :)

EDIT, Thank you pule-8 as well, I guess I was blind ;)

No you are not blind, this link came from Google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
nivert said:
What are the best 3d animation programs out there for mac, preferably something very easy to use, nothing too complicated. Something that someone with little to no experience would find usefull.

Im suprized no one mentioned this.. There is, of course, Maya. They have a personal learning edition which is free for educational use.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639525

Its a great program, lots of tutorial and very powerful. A few downsides though, the renders have a PLE watermark going across the top, and the new version comming out does not have Universal binaries for the intel macs. (poop).

If you are just starting out and try maya, there are about 8 or 9 introduction tutorials about some basics of the interface, they are quicktime movies. Its good to watch so you don't get fustrated trying to do basic stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I find maya not to be the best place to start... although free, its really hard to learn with out a background of 3d animation in other programs, unless you take a class.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
PowerBookG4 said:
I find maya not to be the best place to start... although free, its really hard to learn with out a background of 3d animation in other programs, unless you take a class.

Maya isn't too bad. I really would reccommend Maya if you are planning to use this skill in the future as it is one of the premier 3d modeling softwares in the business.

I like maya :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
jdgaines said:
Maya isn't too bad. I really would reccommend Maya if you are planning to use this skill in the future as it is one of the premier 3d modeling softwares in the business.

I like maya :)

heheh, if you happen to have a Swiss bank account, sure ;) Though, you're right. Apps like Maya and Lightwave become the standard of the industry. 3D Studio Max is the other one of the big 3, but not available for mac.

I've used lightwave a fair bit, but only an old version (7.0 on OS 9), which doesn't run in intels, so instead I'm learning Blender. There's some pretty impressive stuff in the galleries on their site. Although Blender's interface is completely baffling at first, I'm finding it very impressive now. It has some great features that really speed up the whole process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtownley1 said:
heheh, if you happen to have a Swiss bank account, sure ;) Though, you're right. Apps like Maya and Lightwave become the standard of the industry. 3D Studio Max is the other one of the big 3, but not available for mac.

I've used lightwave a fair bit, but only an old version (7.0 on OS 9), which doesn't run in intels, so instead I'm learning Blender. There's some pretty impressive stuff in the galleries on their site. Although Blender's interface is completely baffling at first, I'm finding it very impressive now. It has some great features that really speed up the whole process.

you don't "need" a swiss bank account.. it helps though.. LOL but there is the free version that he could download.

I mean honestly, try any demo's you come across. and find what interface makes the most sense for you. When I started to dable in 3d I was working with this program for the PC called TrueSpace. the interface was easy and I began to get the idea of 3d modeling, but overtime I found it was lacking in features and kept trying other apps. My favorite right now is 3d studio max. Im living off the 30 demo's because of the steep price tag. otherwise I use Maya PLE but Im still learning that.

just my 2$ (2cents doesn't have the same value it used to)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
sluzniak said:
you don't "need" a swiss bank account.. it helps though.. LOL but there is the free version that he could download.

I mean honestly, try any demo's you come across. and find what interface makes the most sense for you. When I started to dable in 3d I was working with this program for the PC called TrueSpace. the interface was easy and I began to get the idea of 3d modeling, but overtime I found it was lacking in features and kept trying other apps. My favorite right now is 3d studio max. Im living off the 30 demo's because of the steep price tag. otherwise I use Maya PLE but Im still learning that.

just my 2$ (2cents doesn't have the same value it used to)

true, most people like to stick to one app or another. It's a pity that the Maya version you mentioned plasters a watermark over renders. I'll check it out though. Any experience helps really.

I remember my first 3D app - it was a demo of Zaxworks (Zaxwerks?) and I think it functioned as either an appleworks or photoshop plugin. It could convert selected text into 3D. Very limited but it kick-started my interest in 3D apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtownley1 said:
true, most people like to stick to one app or another. It's a pity that the Maya version you mentioned plasters a watermark over renders. I'll check it out though. Any experience helps really.

I remember my first 3D app - it was a demo of Zaxworks (Zaxwerks?) and I think it functioned as either an appleworks or photoshop plugin. It could convert selected text into 3D. Very limited but it kick-started my interest in 3D apps.

Well I know Maya is going to be comming out with a brand spankin' new version in a little while for the PLE. They just started to ship the full versions. I can't wait to try it out.. Muhahahahahahahaha

Reaction score
Why dont u try 3d studio Max. Max can be install in Macbook...and pretty fast in rendering too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.