OH MY GOD! A HEAT ISSUE FIX FOR THE MBP's!!! Please read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83ghz/1.5gb RAM/ Superdrive/ 1 TERAbyte of storage on firewire and a 22" Viewsonic LCD
So I was browsing Digg and found this story:

http://digg.com/apple/Macbook_Pro_Make_it_40_f_50_f_Cooler

digg it please if it works for you. Someone found a way to control the fan speeds inside the MBP. Then about halfway through it, someone made it DEAD SIMPLE to do this. They made Applescripts to change the fan speeds!

Next, I went and read the whole thread... let me save you the trouble. First, get a copy of CoreDuoTemp and run it and check your temps.
http://macbricol.free.fr/coreduotemp/

Here's the thread on Macrumors: Read post #80...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=238961&page=4

Go to post #80. There's a link there to download... here it is:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/3cc9d6/

It's really very simple.

Place the unzipped folder into your Apps directory
double click one of the apple scripts
enjoy your cool new MBP!

I tested mine. I've got the new version of CoreDuoTemp running. I was at 159 degrees F. I'm now down to 109F. A complete total change! I got that by running the fans at 3000 rpm.

It basically just turns your fans on all the time, at a faster rate. The noise issue... yeah I can hear them, but they're just as quiet as my Antech cooler pad with 2 fans TWICE the size of the ones inside the MBP.

At 3500 rpm there's no noticeable change in the noise.

I highly recommend it.

Please do a few things. Take the time, note your temps first with coreduotemp. Get the F and C degree readings. Once you do that, get the software installed, and run it. Give it 10 mintues and see what difference you have.

Take notes on what speed you choose and how far your temp drops! Lets really see what this thing can do! Then please post back your results here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmm, I just tried it on my Macbook and it does in fact work as advertised...

Not sure that I'd want the fans running all the time, but it might be a nice solution for those short periods of time I do want to use it on my lap :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83ghz/1.5gb RAM/ Superdrive/ 1 TERAbyte of storage on firewire and a 22" Viewsonic LCD
yeah... nice thing about this fix is that the author provided a way to go back to normal mode... and even faster speeds for things like gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
My heat

Hello.

I too have downloaded it. It takes a little bit of finding on that web page. scroll down and look for anything remotely related to downloading a file.

It works a treat!!

my native temp on my lap running a few apps and itunes running was about 68oC or so. I ran the 4000rpm script and it cooled to a healthy 40oc.

I tried the 'Dangerous RPM' list, only daring to try the 5000rpm one and it dropped it another 3degrees.

I am just wondering, does anyone have the fogiest on life expectancy of these fans? I mean, I am only ever going to run it when it is on my lap or I am running some intense rendering apps to let the CPU breathe easier, but I was just thinking, it surely is wearing out the fans a little too.

It is like somethng comming out to make your screen go brighter than it should. it's not going to pop immediately, but over time it would reduce it's lifespan. Anyway, thought I would post. What a great little thing to have found. Well done.

Now all we need is the chap who made iAlert U to write it as a program which puts little click icons on the menu bar to let you change it instantly. that would be so neat.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know which type of fans are used in the MBP? Just if they ever did fail, it would be good to know to get a few and replace the failed ones.

Stay Cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Aptmunich said:
Hmm, I just tried it on my Macbook and it does in fact work as advertised...

Not sure that I'd want the fans running all the time, but it might be a nice solution for those short periods of time I do want to use it on my lap :)
Well, I don't ever use my notebook on my lap. :black:
I do however, have a USB cooling mat for when I render things in After Effects or something that causes it to heat up a bit. The cooling mat works great and seems a bit more practical to me as it doesn't mess with the fan's software controls. Maybe I am over-cautious, but I don't like messing with things like that as they tend to have a tendency for more ill-effects than just a little heat on its own. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, know what you're saying.

I normally have mine on my iCurve stand, so it doesn't get too warm anyway...

But sometimes if I just quickly need to check something on the couch it's cool to be able to rev up those fans manually as well.

I wouldn't go above the recommended speeds though, you might wear the fans out quicker.

M

malentendu

man i love the new script...i can actually rest my MBP on my lap and dont burn my fingers on the top keys anymore...took it from 67C down to 52C/50C

M

malentendu

ok not that anyone cares but holding steady at 48C with multiple things running...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Great find man, after reading that whole post on apple discussion board:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=680067&tstart=0

ITs even easier now

1) download fanspeed and you are golden
2) You can also download sleepwatcher so that it runs again after a sleep (if thats the case install sleepwatcher first)

It really works I can feel it right away.
Awesome!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
Wow...this is the coolest my MBP has been since I bought it!!

Anyone knows any software that tells you what the MBP's temp is? I downloaded iStatePro; but it says the sensors are missing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you guys cant find it and want it email me... I've got the dmg file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
hotpursuit said:
Wow...this is the coolest my MBP has been since I bought it!!

Anyone knows any software that tells you what the MBP's temp is? I downloaded iStatePro; but it says the sensors are missing.

Use CoreDueTemp its free and is updated often

Reaction score
try smcFanControl. you can control the speed manually, make your own presets, plus it monitors the core temperature and relative fan speed in the Finder bar. There is also a widget for dashboard called iStat Pro that shows you many real-time stats about your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
try smcFanControl. you can control the speed manually, make your own presets, plus it monitors the core temperature and relative fan speed in the Finder bar. There is also a widget for dashboard called iStat Pro that shows you many real-time stats about your system.

this thread is 2yrs OLD! omfg ha

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, it had me wondering why no one had mentioned SMCFanControl and then I noticed the dates of the posts. Always good to re-visit old problems. ;D

BTW, for you folks who need to control the temps on your MB and MBP while booted to Windows (Boot Camp only) take a look at these two Windows apps which are free and work great:

SpeedFan

RMClock

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.