Macbook Question Mark?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
I dropped my Macbook yesterday, I picked it up off the coffee table and then dropped it back down on it, it was only about 3 inches from the coffee table when it feel though. It locked up, I could only move the mouse I couldn't click anything.

So I restarted it by holding the power button, pushed it again and I heard the chime but then it stopped loading and a folder with a question mark appeared and started to flash.

I am in university so I didn't bring my manual or cds but they are coming now that Im having this problem. But my question is, is there anything I can like keyboard commands or anything to try to get this work? Or is my only hope to reinstall everything and lose everything on my computer. Luckily I also backed up my iphoto last night.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
On any Mac OS X box, you can enter “single-user mode” by holding down command-S at startup. This gives you a root prompt and a read-only hard drive, from which you can commence your life of quiet desperation, er, troubleshooting.
Normally, you would do this to repair the drive

:# fsck -y

This is exactly equivalent to booting off the install CD and repairing your disk using Disk Utility. In Mac OS X, Disk Utility is a graphical frontend on top of fsck. It works just as well in single-user mode because the drive is mounted read-only, so there’s no chance of files being modified while the repair is running.
If fsck tells you that the file system was modified, reboot immediately

:# reboot

Repeat until fsck reports no errors. It is now safe to exit single-user mode and continue booting normally

:# exit

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay I turned on the computer, and had Command-S held down, and it didnt do anything the screen stayed gray and after a little while a the folder with the question mark started flashing.

Is there anything else I can try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB G4, 1 GHz, 768 RAM, OS X Tiger 10.5.6
Hey there...
I had the same problem once upon a time and I simply took the battery out and pushed in the airport card. Make sure it's snug. I then restarted the computer and everything booted properly. Give it a shot. It worked for me.

Crowe

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where is the airport card on a Macbook? I probably need a screwdriver, which I dont have haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.