probably a stupid question but how do i........

Reaction score
I was thinking about keeping an imac i bought from a local but after using it for a few days i missing my pc more and more. i need to know how i can clean the HD, i want to sell this and i have been using it and it has some passwords and bank information on it and i'd like to completely wipe the HD clean. i have the installation disks so re-installing software is not problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
da2003pizimp said:
I was thinking about keeping an imac i bought from a local but after using it for a few days i missing my pc more and more. i need to know how i can clean the HD, i want to sell this and i have been using it and it has some passwords and bank information on it and i'd like to completely wipe the HD clean. i have the installation disks so re-installing software is not problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You should boot from the installation DVD (insert the DVD and press 'c' during startup). When it is booted from the DVD, goto Disk Utility and from there you can securely erase the HD. You can erase the data in 7 steps or 35 steps(if you are paranoid). Keep in mind that the erase process takes substantial amount of time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.