firefox or camino?

Reaction score
what web browsers are available for the mac that doesn't suck my physical memory dry?

It just seems like firefox likes to eat up a lot of memory. I've already done the memory tweak command line in the config file but I was wondering if anyone here usess camino and internet explorer from microsoft.

I have been quite happy with firefox but I want to make sure that I get accustomed to a browser that is the best for the mac platform.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you want a browser that is best for the mac platform, why don't you stick with safari, its a really nice and fast browser developed by apple so it works well with their software and hardware.

Reaction score
stevescivic said:
what web browsers are available for the mac that doesn't suck my physical memory dry?

It just seems like firefox likes to eat up a lot of memory. I've already done the memory tweak command line in the config file but I was wondering if anyone here usess camino and internet explorer from microsoft.

I have been quite happy with firefox but I want to make sure that I get accustomed to a browser that is the best for the mac platform.

thanks

When I bought my iMac 10mths ago I had been used to using FireFox on my PC. Straight away I hated Safari and ran for the safety of FireFox for Mac.

Pretty soon though I discovered that Safari actually offered everything that I had grown accustomed to while using FF on my PC.

Now I use Safari, it's my first choice. Sure it's good to have a few browsers on hand for one reason or another but Tabbed Browsing is all I need at the present and Safari does that.

~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
stevescivic said:

thanks
Safari is my first choice (though it'll be much nicer when they make the next release, judging by the nightly webkit builds) simply for what its zoom button does rather than maximize or enlarge to some arbitrary size. Between those two, I would definitely go with Firefox simply because it's much easier to add new stuff to the configuration (about:config) and it actually has extensions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I fell in love with Safari when I first used it in Jaguar, but it had it's problems back then but got better till now it's my favorite browser for 95% of what I do on the web. I do keep FireFox, Camino, Opera and a few others there just in case and when doing web sites to be sure the site works with everything out there.

You might try Camino though, It's the Mozilla engine like Firefox but made to fit in with OSX a lot better than FF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Safari is my main choice, sadly its been crashing a bit for me while using iTunes, though I only noticed this since I updated to 10.4.8, not sure if thats the reason.. Anyway FireFox I am not all that keen on but then again I never really liked it that much for PC once I started using IE7 beta.

A

antizero

I stick with firefox, simply because I use a variety of platforms and I can have it configured in exactly the same way... nothing new to get used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Right now I am using Camino because I got so frustrated with the launch time of Safari. But I do love Safari because everything just works =] for a while I was using Shiira and I will probably go back to it when the new version comes out.

Reaction score
I just recently came over to Mac and was using Opera, which I have used for years. I switched over to Safari and like it fine and intend to stay with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
I only switched this week and was planning to use Safari. However, as soon as I went to Protopage (which is my Startup Page) I got a message telling me,

"Unfortunately, Protopage.com uses browser technologies that Safari does not yet support. We hope to bring back Safari support soon. Until then, we highly recommend you use the Firefox web browser (download it from www.getfirefox.com)."

Must be a problem with AJAX I imagine.

Cheers,

Jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well I don't know how it works but most people build there websites to suit either Firefox or IE.

So a safe bet would be with Firefox but considering,as has been mentioned, Camino is built of OSX instead of simply being ported thats also a good bet.

I've got Safari, Firefox, Camino and Opera. I use Safari mainly but I find Firefox is handy for viewing IE Sites and the others are just there for show. Although I do prefer the look and feel to Camino and Opera compared with the others.

In the end it all comes down to preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Jackcu said:
I only switched this week and was planning to use Safari. However, as soon as I went to Protopage (which is my Startup Page) I got a message telling me,

"Unfortunately, Protopage.com uses browser technologies that Safari does not yet support. We hope to bring back Safari support soon. Until then, we highly recommend you use the Firefox web browser (download it from www.getfirefox.com)."

Must be a problem with AJAX I imagine.

Cheers,

Jack.

What browser technology do they use? Safari and Firefox have always been on par with each other.

Not to mention the page looks exactly the same to me on both firefox and safari. All the functionality seems the same as well. Weird...

Reaction score

thanks

What's the tweak? I'm assuming it prevents Firefox from keeping all tabs cached even after they've been closed, which causes it to use hundreds of MB of ram.

Reaction score
After googling, it was surprisingly hidden but here it is:

1. Go to about:config
2. search "browser.cache.disk.capacity"
3. Change the value to something lower.

According to Computerworld:

For RAM sizes between 512BM and 1GB, start with 15000. For RAM sizes between 128MB and 512M, try 5000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I use Firefox because its ability to work in variety of platforms. I do have to switch between OS X, Linux and Windows XP and I want to have identical Bookmarks in all different platforms.

Foxmarks(plugin for FF) make things really easy. I know there are plenty of other ways of sync. bookmarks but for me this is the best method so far.

In my experience FF is also pretty stable and the new version(2.0) has some cool features. Even if you decided to use Safari for day-to-day internet browsing, its a good idea to try FF just to see whether it has something interesting to offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I use Firefox because its ability to work in variety of platforms. I do have to switch between OS X, Linux and Windows XP and I want to have identical Bookmarks in all different platforms.

Foxmarks(plugin for FF) make things really easy. I know there are plenty of other ways of sync. bookmarks but for me this is the best method so far.

In my experience FF is also pretty stable and the new version(2.0) has some cool features. Even if you decided to use Safari for day-to-day internet browsing, its a good idea to try FF just to see whether it has something interesting to offer.

FireFox is great and I use it on PCs but I just find Safari so much better on the Mac, believe it or not it actually seems faster than FF plus it has the full Aqua UI which is one of the 2 huge things that bothers me about FF (the other being that it doesn't have colorsync technology). FF also seems a bit clunky, probably due to not having an Aqua UI, it just seems like too much of a port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I use Opera for both browsing and my email. I like having my email in a column to the left as I browse so I always know when one comes in. And on this 24" screen there is more then enough room for it. I don't much like the mail program in OS X and have yet to find a good free alternative other then Opera.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use Opera for both browsing and my email. I like having my email in a column to the left as I browse so I always know when one comes in. And on this 24" screen there is more then enough room for it. I don't much like the mail program in OS X and have yet to find a good free alternative other then Opera.

There is also Mozilla Thunderbird. It's a VERY good and very full featured email client for OSX. I have no issues with Apples Mail App but if you want more features, give Thunderbird a try.

To the OP, I use Safari, but with the few pages that give Safari problems, on OSX I much prefer Camino over Firefox. Firefox is what I use on Windows though, but on the Mac I feel Camino is better. It's the same engine as Firefox but more OSX like.

Reaction score
I've tried Opera and IMHO, felt uncomfortable with it's interface and the mail integration aspect.

I have been a FireFox/Thunderbird fan for a couple of years (on my PC) and when I bought my first mac I used them for a while until I became more familiar with Safari/Mail.

I'm yet to try Camino and would certainly give a thumbs up for FireFox, but Safari is my premiere choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.