Can't install OSX Tiger on a G4 Quicksilver

A

aljack3

Okay, so I'm trying to do a clean install of OSX on a Dual 1.0 Quicksilver G4 (rev 2 motherboard) MAC. I'm using a fairly new 160GB Maxtor hardrive which has passed diagnostics in a PC. The MAC disc utility shows the full capacity of the drive and it passes verification.

I've run the Apple hardware test from a boot cd on this machine for hours at a time without error.

When I try to install OSX Tiger it always gives an error message when it's about 20% into installing the "essentials". It just says "There were errors installing the software" and prompts to re-start. This happens again and again, once it went to the black screen of death with the white writing.

When I try to install OSX Panther the screen just goes blank during the install.

I was able to install 10.2 from the original discs that came with the MAC. Then I used software update and the screen just went blank while installing the 10.2.8 update. Now I can't get the OS to boot. It just stops on the white screen with the big grey apple.

I used startup manager to boot to the hardware test cd again and it still runs without error. It's been looping for five hours.

Any ideas or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Strip out all hardware that didn't ship from Apple. RAM, HD, Video Card etc.

Also I've seen quirkiness when the HD jumper is set to cable select. Put it on the primary channel as master.

OP
A

aljack3

MacsWork said:
Strip out all hardware that didn't ship from Apple. RAM, HD, Video Card etc.

Also I've seen quirkiness when the HD jumper is set to cable select. Put it on the primary channel as master.

Thanks for taking a crack at this problem.

Note, I stripped the machine down to the bare bones long ago while trying to troubleshoot the problems.

I switched the HD jumper as suggested, I let you know if it helps going forward.

Here's an update on the issues I am seeing with this machine.

Yesterday, I was able to install 10.2 from the original discs. Overnight I ran 50 loops of the hardware test without incident. This morning I downloaded the 10.2.5 combined update manually. During the update the machine crashed to the white screen of death, the one that tells you to hold down the button to restart. Now when I try to boot to the HD I just get the blue screen with the mouse arrow.

I've noticed that the machine tends to crash to the white screen while downloading or unzipping a large file or during an install as decribed above. CPU load doesn't appear to be a factor as to when it crashes.

Thanks again for any help in solving my OS issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.