Installing Panther with external monitor

A

antjessopuk

Hi,

I've just got an iBook 12" G4 1qhz with a faulty screen. During transit the hard disk was also damaged. I have found an identical drive from an old toshiba but need to re-install Panther. Can this be done with an external monitor? At the moment it won't activate an external monitor to show the error message. Also, the fan doesn't spin, does this only occur once the operating system has started to load?

Cheers,
Ant

Reaction score
I have just been through the exact same situation

If you connect the external monitor and then hold c to boot from your panther disk it should activate the external display.
At first i thought the ibook was dead because the screen was so cracked all i could see was a white background.If the display had been fine i would have seen the folder icon with a question mark
The first thing you should see on the external display is the grey apple on a white backdrop. If everything goes ok then its worth replacing the lcd panel
There is one on ebay right now for £64 from a g3 that will work. And having replaced one only yesterday it is very easy to do

OP
A

antjessopuk

Great stuff. I've bought a G3 screen and displey which should be coming soon. I might get in touch with you if I get stuck :).

Cheers,
Ant

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.