Help with Internet connect and USB

Reaction score
I'm resurrecting my old (first) Mac, a PowerMac 6500 - 250. I have two problems preventing me from reaching my goal.

I have installed a larger hard drive and, using "OS 9 Helper", I have the machine up and running Mac OS 9.2.2. I want to use this old gem strictly for Classic gaming.

I have three other Macs (G5, G3, Intel mini) on a home network connected to a router and then to a Comcast cable modem. I can't get the Old Mac to offer me an ethernet option in the TCP/IP control panel. AppleTalk is always chosen for me by the Mac. I've tried using the Internet Setup Assistant and the OS Setup Assistant to no avail. This avenue of downloading files is the first snag.

The other snag is USB on the Old Mac. There are two USB ports on the back of the machine. My thumb drive (Windows format) is not recognized. My old original HD in an external enclosure is also not recognized.

Either way (without resorting to floppies) is the way I'd like to get files onto the Old Mac. Preferably both.

It's been quite a while since I dabbled in control panels and such. I hope one of you Classic Gurus out there can give me some help and perhaps point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

FCGrabo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.