iWeb publishing to hosts other than .mac?

Reaction score
Is it possible to create a site using iWeb and be able to upload it to a host other than .mac? If so, should all functionality (ie. slideshow in particular) be in working order?

Reaction score
I believe that you can publish to other hosts, but some of the functionality of the site may be disabled. I'm not sure of the specifics though, I'd check the help menu in iWeb.

P

Pelican

I WEB Functions

The info on IWEB states that some of the features will not work unless you publish to .MAC. One of the things that it says will not work is the slide show and I think movie functions will not work as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The info on IWEB states that some of the features will not work unless you publish to .MAC. One of the things that it says will not work is the slide show and I think movie functions will not work as well.

I have had no issue with any of the functions. All you do is publish to a folder, then use an FTP app to move the entire content of that folder to your host.

www.zoolook.us

Slide show works. I've also had the podcast and movie working fine too.

Reaction score
Yeah, iWeb sites work perfectly on other hosts than .Mac including slideshow, but the only think that doesn't work is probably the counter because it's not on a .Mac website. I have a domain name by GoDaddy and web hosting by IX Web Hosting and i have a site made from iWeb which i am hosting. All you have to do is get a application called Web Echo, then you can choose your iWeb site folder(the one which you published to the folder in iWeb) and then enter your FTP(file transfer protocol) info and it will update it automatically! And when you update the site on iWeb, just save it to the same place and Web Echo will publish only updated files so you wouldn't have to overwrite everything.

If you are going to use IX web Hosting you must name your site site.com(with a .com at the end) because I think thats how it works with them. Have fun and good luck with your site!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have had no issue with any of the functions. All you do is publish to a folder, then use an FTP app to move the entire content of that folder to your host.

www.zoolook.us

Slide show works. I've also had the podcast and movie working fine too.

Agreed. Most of the individual pages, except the main page, on my site have been done in iWeb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Password protection, comments for blogs, RSS and counters are features available only for .Mac accounts.
Slideshows are different if your page is not stored in a .Mac address, but they are still funtional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I believe there is a more advanced slideshow feature that displays thumbnails at the top of web page allowing you to click on them to display the larger version.

Also, I don't think blogging response from readers works.

When you post after the first time to .Mac, only the files needing updating get transfered, saving on upload time. On any other service either you upload the entire thing, or you have to manualy figure it out on you own.

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a question for vandal31593, I am trying to upload my iWeb site on IX and losing my formatting and images after I upload my html files... I have not tried Web Echo yet.

Any advice anyone can offer would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Curt

Reaction score
Nver mind, fixed the problem, if anyone has issues such as this try Cyber Duck... program is free and is money... solved my problems.

Reaction score
Cyberduck

Hi everyone!

I was reading all of your helpful posts and thought I'd pose a question. I'm new to using iWeb and I don't have a .mac account. I did download Cyberduck as someone recommended, but so far its chinese to me.
So if I work on a website on iWeb and want it published to my .com for instance, I would publish to a folder from iWeb and upload the site with Cyberduck? I'm really not clear on how to use cyberduck and the how to's weren't very helpful (to me anyway). If anyone has some light to shine on this I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!

Reaction score
iWeb not working on IE, Navigator or Safari

I publish a webpage using iWeb to our own domain, not .mac, and with the last update, the page is asking for user ID and password on Internet Explorer, Navigator and Safari (works fine in Opera and Firefox), as well as not being able to use any of the links. Only thing changed was the index.html page. Any suggestions? I'm not html-friendly, nor a programmer, so please keep it simple.
Thanks, Shira

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.