stuck in restart loop

Reaction score
imac G4 would boot - tried everything, so .....

Have installed OSX onto free partition on external (firewire) HD. All went OK, got Airport working and went online for updates. Installed a few then, when it instructed me to restart, the reboot failed!! It now keeps saying the PC needs to restart, press the power button for a few seconds or press restart. Have done that several times - stuck in a loop!

Tried holding Apple + S intending to try /sbin/fsck -f but can't get that far. After loads of text, the last line says "panic - we're hanging here" and that box saying I need to restart comes back!!

Please can someone help before I go mad????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Just reload at this point. It sounds like this isn't a machine that you've got a lot of data on. Cut your losses and time and just wipe and reload.

BTW panic means kernel panic. If you feel the need to troubleshoot to get some sense of victory go ahead. Perhaps an update went south.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did manage a reload 10.2 but only the partition with the OS on is showing as loaded. The other 2 partitions aren't. Can't find a way round that at present!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.