Quicksilver or Automator?

H

Harryc

I am faced with a repetative task, that I must do 3 times a week. I open Firefox, navigate to a specific URL, logon (Userid and password), click on a specific link on the next page, click on another link on the next page, which downloads a file. (The file name changes every time.) Once the download is complete, I go into Finder and move that file from one (the Firefox default download) folder to another. I then attach that file to an email and send it out to a specific distribution list in 'Mail'. My question is, can I automate any or all of this, and which tool is best, Automator or Quicksilver? If anyone has any specific tips for either one, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't think automator can handle doing things on the web, but you can have it move the file, and then send it in a e-mail to the certain list of people for you. I would also say you can just save the page with the download on it as a link in your dock, so you don't have to navigate to the page then click on a link, then click on another think then download. just put a link to the page with the download link in your dock next to your trash can.

OP
H

Harryc

PowerBookG4 said:
I don't think automator can handle doing things on the web, but you can have it move the file, and then send it in a e-mail to the certain list of people for you. I would also say you can just save the page with the download on it as a link in your dock, so you don't have to navigate to the page then click on a link, then click on another think then download. just put a link to the page with the download link in your dock next to your trash can.
Thanks for the information. I think I'll try to automate it from moving the file, and then send it in a e-mail to the dist list, as you suggest. At least it saves a couple of steps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.