image disk to disk?

Reaction score
hi all

my 60gb drive in my macbook is getting a little full. if i get a new hard drive whats the easiest way to copy everything over *as is* ? can i just create a disk image with disk utility and then copy back again if i have a second mac running osx server? i noticed it had some likely looking tools for that somewhere.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
yes.

1. create the macbook disk image form your HDD with disck utility on the server.
2. change the drive
3. boot macbok in firewite target mode.
4. restore using **** utility form other mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
so it is that easy.. god i love macs. thanks for the info, i will be sure to stop by again if i have trouble finding my **** utility :p:p

OP
S
Reaction score
right i'm ready to try it now..

i have the existing 60GB HDD i want to swap for a 120GB HDD. i read this article but i haven't got enough room on the client (98% full) to create an image to then move to a server, and i don't have a bootable firewire enclosure to hold another drive.

is there any other way i can do this? i have tools like acronis for windows for example, but will it work for osx? i have enough room on other machines to hold an image, i have a usb enclosure, an osx server machine.. just not the tools to use this method. ideally a live-boot cd tool that will let me create an image to a remote machine, and then copy back again.

thanks in advance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.