12" iBook G4 - Re-Format Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys,

I'm re-formatting my iBook ready for the guy who bought it from me.

Now it's only got a 30GB HDD and when I had all my stuff on there it had like 3GB free.

Now granted that I used to have a lot of Photoshop work, video work, music and general "large" files on there that explains where some of the space went.

The guy who I sold it to (my house mate) said that he might consider an external HDD in the future if space becomes an issue but I was just wondering if there are any tips when re-formatting & re-installing OSX (Tiger) that will free up some more space for him for the time being? I.e. is there an option to not install features that are not commonly used? Kind of like an express/light install of a program if you will.

Regards,

Chris :mac:.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
One of the things you could consider doing is to remove all the unwanted language support. Language support files (Foreign Languages) takes up lot of space and it doesn't serve any purpose unless you want to switch between several languages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Sorry to Hi-jack threads here but how would you go about doing this? I like to keep lots of space free on my mac :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
--hijacker--- if you just want to remove the other languages without having to reformat and lose anything, search for a program called "delocalizer" and install and run it. it will remove all those other language files and free up about 1GB of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
lol cheers rcltrh :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
I noticed that this program removes language support for all languages apart from American-English.

What about British English? Or are the iBook's set out in American-English for us anyway?

Regards,

Chris.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.