!!!PLEASE HELP (girl in distress)!!!

T

totally lost

Never would of thought I've been a die hard mac user for 5 yrs now, and still I no nothing! just got an ibook g4 as an early christmas prezzie, I already have my imac g4 (which is what i'm using now) what I haven't got a clue about is, how and what I have to do to connet both of them to the internet??? the imac is connet to the internet using a modem I got though my service provider, so basically what do I have to do now???also my kids have both got p.c's (sorry about swearing!!) but is there any way I can get summit that connets everything, hopefully wireless as don't want wires going everywhere, if I can't link the kids p.c's up as well, well i'll just have to carry on doing there homework, cause no way are they even allowed to touch my macs!!!
Or would it be cheaper if I got the kids older macs, cause you can get them dirt cheap now-a-days, and then connected them all up??

Reaction score
totally lost said:
Never would of thought I've been a die hard mac user for 5 yrs now, and still I no nothing! just got an ibook g4 as an early christmas prezzie, I already have my imac g4 (which is what i'm using now) what I haven't got a clue about is, how and what I have to do to connet both of them to the internet??? the imac is connet to the internet using a modem I got though my service provider, so basically what do I have to do now???also my kids have both got p.c's (sorry about swearing!!) but is there any way I can get summit that connets everything, hopefully wireless as don't want wires going everywhere, if I can't link the kids p.c's up as well, well i'll just have to carry on doing there homework, cause no way are they even allowed to touch my macs!!!
Or would it be cheaper if I got the kids older macs, cause you can get them dirt cheap now-a-days, and then connected them all up??

Are you on Dial-Up or Broadband?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
IMO wireless router would be the best option to connect all Macs and PCs at the same time. A router not only allows you to connect to internet but also act like a firewall. It is not going to be that difficult to setup. Once you have the router up and running Macs will detect the connection automatically. You might have to do some muddling with the PCs. Let us know more about the type of your internet connection and the systems you want to connect (OS, Mac Model etc,.).

OP
T

totally lost

sorry, i'm on broadband connection, my o.s on my imac is o.s x (10.3.2 panther) its an imac powerpc G4 1 ghz with 256MB and my
ibook is running on tiger 10.4 and is a Powerbook6,7 1.42 Ghz pwerpc g4 with 512 MB built in, hope this is the info you.
have heard about these wireless routers if this is all i need, is there a certain 1 you would recomend for use with macs, all are they all much as such the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
so your physical sex has nothing to do with anything in this thread. ok.

what you want to do is purchase a wireless router. go to any major electronics store and purchase a belkin, lynksys wireleess router or apple airport base station.

if your computers dont have them you will have to purchase wireless cards for them all. or you can keep some computers wired if you would like.

install all of the wireless cards, very simple process explained in the cards directions.

plug your wireless router into either your cable modem or whatever you got

beyond that there are only a few simple steps we would walk you through for the actual setup of your computers.

going wireless is really a simple process
good luck
-chris

OP
T

totally lost

^^lol just read your post again, and realised what the 1st line said, and no i'm not blonde just having a senior moment hehe, anyway
cheers ppl, will let you know when i've got all these bits i need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.