Settings in Mail

Reaction score
Hi,

I am setting up Mail to use several email accounts.

Everytime I receive new mail from any account one copy stays in the inbox while the other copy goes to the smart mailbox.

How do I configure mail to move the incoming emails to their respective folder and not keep an extra copy in the inbox?

or do I need to use another software lke entourage or eudora?

Thanks

Reaction score
TheChemist said:
Hi,

I am setting up Mail to use several email accounts.

Everytime I receive new mail from any account one copy stays in the inbox while the other copy goes to the smart mailbox.

How do I configure mail to move the incoming emails to their respective folder and not keep an extra copy in the inbox?

or do I need to use another software lke entourage or eudora?

Thanks

This, I believe is the very nature of the smart mailbox. Smart Mailboxes are a fast and convenient way to group together and display messages from various locations, without having to physically move the messages between mailboxes.

I don't use smart mailboxes for my email accounts so I don't know if you can tweak the prefs but otherwise just choose mailbox over smart mailbox.

~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Pulse-8 is spot on: Smart mailboxes are nothing more than saved searches. It will display all messages that correspond to certain criteria, regardless of where they're saved.

If you want to physically move the messages to a certain folder, create the folder and set up rules to move them accordingly under 'preferences->rules'.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank You guys. I'll try that.

EDIT:

I created the appropriate rules to move mail from inbox to the smart mailbox.

Same problem: There's a copy in inbox and a copy in the smart mailbox.

I'm going to use Entourage in the meantime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Again, a smart mailbox ISN'T a physical storage, it's just a saved search.

Click the plus symbol at the bottom left to create a new folder to physically store messages in.

And read threads more thoroughly :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.