Please Help - regarding linksys USB adapter

• Thread starter CaptainStandish
  • Start date
C

CaptainStandish

Hi guys. I'm new to the forums and new to mac's also. Currently I have an old HP PC (and by old - I mean a good 5 years) and recently got an iMac. I have my PC connected to the internet through a cable modem and I am attempting to connect my mac to the internet using a wireless router and a wireless usb adapter. The router is set up and running on my PC and my USB adapter is connected to my iMac, but when I go to put the CD in to install the adapter software - I can't open anything! I can't run the install and I have no idea what to do to get my mac up and running on the internet. I literally got my mac a few days ago and have had no experience on them whatsoever, so I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out what it is to do. Thanks for your time guys and thanks to anybody who takes the time to respond!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
CaptainStandish said:
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums and new to mac's also. Currently I have an old HP PC (and by old - I mean a good 5 years) and recently got an iMac. I have my PC connected to the internet through a cable modem and I am attempting to connect my mac to the internet using a wireless router and a wireless usb adapter. The router is set up and running on my PC and my USB adapter is connected to my iMac, but when I go to put the CD in to install the adapter software - I can't open anything! I can't run the install and I have no idea what to do to get my mac up and running on the internet. I literally got my mac a few days ago and have had no experience on them whatsoever, so I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out what it is to do. Thanks for your time guys and thanks to anybody who takes the time to respond!

I know this is an obvious question, but is the adapter and software Mac compatible (not all are)? I always suggest Airport for Mac wireless internet and networking. It is completely plug and play, and my iBook was up and running on my Linksys wireless network in a matter of seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Linksys adapters do not work on apples.

OP
S

StarManta

Just to clarify the last post: Linksys routers work fine, expect for the inability to configure them (there's another thread around here detailing THAT problem.) I don't know about linksys PCMCIA card, USB adapters etc., which I assume is what trpnmonkey is referring to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
trpnmonkey41 said:
Linksys adapters do not work on apples.

He didn't actually mention Linksys though, and at least one manufacturer appears to offer a USB wireless adapter that is Mac-compatible.

OP
C

CaptainStandish

Thanks for the response guys. Would I be able to get a different adapter, but keep the linksys router? I also don't have an airport extreme card for the mac, do I need one of those also? Should I just take the linksys router back and get the airport base station etc...

Could I also wire the cable modem so it's in the room with my mac, use the router on that and then just use the adapter on my PC?

Thanks for the time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can use your linksys router with no problem but you would need to get the airport card for the mac

I think that wiring the cable modem to the room with the mac and then using the linksys adapter on the PC is the best idea for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Padawan said:
He didn't actually mention Linksys though, and at least one manufacturer appears to offer a USB wireless adapter that is Mac-compatible.

I didn't really read the post carefully i thought he said it was linksys

d-link has mac-compatible adapters

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175

OP
C

CaptainStandish

trpnmonkey41 said:
I didn't really read the post carefully i thought he said it was linksys

d-link has mac-compatible adapters

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=175

Would I be able to use that adapter with my linksys router, or would I have to get a different adapter also. And to a previous post, if I would hook my cable modem up to my mac and use the router on that and the linksys adapter on my PC, would I still need to get the airport card? thanks again guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the dlink adapter should work with the linksys with no problems

If you hook up your cable modem to the router and plug the router into your mac and use the linksys adapter on your pc then no you will not need to buy anything else

OP
C

CaptainStandish

thanks a bunch for the response guys. One final question - I have the G router, will I loose any significant speed if I downgrade to a B adapter. I'm only networking 2 personal computers which are about 3 rooms apart from each other and also, I tried to run my linksys router CD in my mac, but I couldn't run the install wizard. Do I have to manually configure that type of thing etc... Once again - thanks a ton!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will only notice G speeds with a distance of less than 50 ft.
B speeds are good for up to 150 ft so you probably wouldnt notice a speed difference.

If you get the dlink adapter when you install it it should automatically configure

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.