Replacing my hardrive

F

fxscreamer

I have a 1.33ghz Powerbook bought around January 2005. I am really disgusted with my crappy 4200RPM 60GB hardrive, and feel it is REALLY driving back the performance of my system. I use DP a lot and use it for audio, and other multimedia functions.

Basic Specs:
1.33ghz
768MB PC2700 DDR 333
Hitachi Travelstar 60GB 4200RPM (gross!)

Would it be possible for me to install a 7200RPM hardrive? I know it can handle 5400RPM, but would 7200 get too hot, or would the power supply be able to handle it? I know exactly how to disassemble my powerbook, and have been a computer technician for HP/Foxconn (aka I know what I'm doing). By this point, I'm not caring too much about the warranty, and I don't want to pay Mac prices. I'd rather do it all myself.

So again, would 7200RPM be applicable? Need advice. Thanks.

-J

EDIT: At the time I purchased the powerbook, the hardrive options were only 4200rpm and 5400rpm on the site. Just keep that in mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes, You should be able to install a faster HD. More info.

Reaction score
Upping the RAM at the same time might be worth considering, esp. for digital audio.
Is this the 15", the 17" or the 12" 1.33?

Thanks
Trevor

OP
F

fxscreamer

Quick question. I know my Powerbook isn't Serial ATA, but among the other two, which is it going to be?

ATA-6
ATA-100

Both are mobile options. I'm pretty sure it is ATA-6, but I want 2nd opinions. Mine is a late 2004 aluminum 1.33ghz 15" powerbook. Any takers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.