Ethernet uses?

T

Tony3ts

Just acquired a PB G4 12". The side sockets are stuffed with external things, all except the Ethernet. I have a wifi connection to a network so is there anything else useful for this socket to do? (eg, could I use it to run one of those TV thingies from Elgato?) Thanks - TONY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not really, no.

But you could buy a USB or firewire hub and hook up a tv tuner if you wanted to :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Aptmunich said:
Not really, no.

But you could buy a USB or firewire hub and hook up a tv tuner if you wanted to :)
I really wish there were at least ONE competitively priced TV tuner for Macs. Elgato is currently the only realistic choice, so they inflate their prices. It's a shame when you can get a PC tuner card for half the price of the cheapest Mac one.

Anyway, to answer the original question, ethernet only has one use other than connecting to the Internet, and that is directly connecting to another computer for a two-computer network. Given that you're on wireless, though, you probably have the network sharing thing covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.