Lost items after starting up.

Reaction score
Have a slight but hopefully simple problem.

I started my 17'' Powerbook up last night and it seems to have lost all of my music that i had saved in iTunes, some quicktime videos i had saved in a folder and a few other folders containing pictures.

When i went to start up iTunes it came up with the info/agreement page but no music.

I recently upgraded it from 10.4 to 10.4.7 and still shows this in 'about this Mac'

If i go to 'disk info' for the hard drive it still shows the same amount of space used as when all the music/pictures where showing.

Is there anyway of finding the music/pictures again or has it been completely lost?

Any help much appreciated!

Reaction score
daveharlow said:
Have a slight but hopefully simple problem.

I started my 17'' Powerbook up last night and it seems to have lost all of my music that i had saved in iTunes, some quicktime videos i had saved in a folder and a few other folders containing pictures.

When i went to start up iTunes it came up with the info/agreement page but no music.

I recently upgraded it from 10.4 to 10.4.7 and still shows this in 'about this Mac'

If i go to 'disk info' for the hard drive it still shows the same amount of space used as when all the music/pictures where showing.

Is there anyway of finding the music/pictures again or has it been completely lost?

Any help much appreciated!

Try a Spotlight search on one of your iTunes songs....hitting command+spacebar will bring out the Spotlight text box in the upper-right corner of your screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Do you keep your music library somewhere other than in /Users/<username>/Music/iTunes ? If that's the case, iTunes may have lost the link to the correct location. Try to search for kind: aac in Spotlight. Now add the correct location in iTunes preferences.

OP
D
Reaction score
I tried searching but couldn't find anything..have pretty much searched through all the folders and didn't find a thing.

Any other ideas??

Reaction score
daveharlow said:
I tried searching but couldn't find anything..have pretty much searched through all the folders and didn't find a thing.

Any other ideas??

Just to clarify, you had a stack of movies/songs/pictures which have disappeared since you updated to 10.4.7.

You say that after this update and the very next time you launched iTunes, you were met with the info/agreement page, the very one we all see just after we've installed iTunes?

This doesn't sound great for your lost iTunes library and pictures.

You mention an update from 10.4 to 10.4.7, do you mean 10.4.6?

Do you have a backup, backup, backup of your lost data?

Can you think of anything you might have done aside of the update that could have caused this?

~ :p ~

Reaction score
Hi, I am also in the same boat as daveharlow except I was just casially on Safari when it said somet like "Unable to find Keychain, resort to original settings" So I clicked yes and now I have lost all my iTunes aswell. This being my first mac (24" Intel iMac) I dont really have much knolledge on them. If anyone could give me some basic tips for new mac users that would be great and also things like why I dont have to save settings is kind of scary. But this maybe because I used to have a Windows based PC... lol

Thanks, Adam

Reaction score
Same thing with my stepson's Macbook. Shut down one night, the next day when he booted up, all his music was gone. He also had to re-update to iTunes 7.0.2. He also lost all his pix. Apps and everything else was there. I checked that there wasn't another user logged in, thats all I know to do. Sure would like some help on this. Any one else have this?

Henry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.