Dreamweaver or Nothing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
I just switched from PCs to Macs. I'm not a huge computer guy - but I did take programming for a year, so I kind of familiar with if, then, simple stuff like that. Well, I'm very ambitious, and I want to make a website for my business. I want it to look very very professional, because my competitors are very nice looking. Will I be able to use Dreamweaver to its somewhat potential, or should I start to study HTML and start from scratch? I do not sit in front of the computer ALL day, only like 50% of it, and also, keep in mind that I'm totaly new to Macs and their programs. Will Dreamweaver be a waste of my money? Until today, I had no idea what CSS was.

Thanks ahead of time for any input/advice.

P.S. I LOVE my MacBook so much, it's not even funny. omg, I never thought that a laptop could be so orgas. . . I mean, nice. :dummy:

Reaction score
gblader said:
I just switched from PCs to Macs. I'm not a huge computer guy - but I did take programming for a year, so I kind of familiar with if, then, simple stuff like that. Well, I'm very ambitious, and I want to make a website for my business. I want it to look very very professional, because my competitors are very nice looking. Will I be able to use Dreamweaver to its somewhat potential, or should I start to study HTML and start from scratch? I do not sit in front of the computer ALL day, only like 50% of it, and also, keep in mind that I'm totaly new to Macs and their programs. Will Dreamweaver be a waste of my money? Until today, I had no idea what CSS was.

P.S. I LOVE my MacBook so much, it's not even funny. omg, I never thought that a laptop could be so orgas. . . I mean, nice. :dummy:

Hi, if DreamWeaver has a demo version why not download it for a trial...I use NetObjectFusion on my PC but now I'm on my iMac mostly, I downloaded RapidWeaver trial and am very happy with it so I intend to buy it when I can. I don't know much html so I love the drag'n'drop option. If you have iLife 06, then iWeb is bundled with it and you could check that out if you haven't already. DreamWeaver would offer much more than the two apps I mentioned but at least you'd get the feel of creating webpages on your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
As Pulse-8 said, it's a good idea to try trial versions of both Dreamweaver and RapidWeaver. IMO DW is a better choice than RW if you are intending to learn web designing. RW restrict you from using your own codes but on the other hand it is quick & easy. DW is more professional and you are free to do what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256; Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel
Dreamweaver is not for professional, it's for designers.

If you want to program html, css, JavaScript, Java, etc... Your better off using TextMate and coding the web app.

However, from what I read - if you need to get your business site up and running in a hurry, then RapidWeaver might do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
jtp51 said:
Dreamweaver is not for professional, it's for designers.
Designers ARE professionals. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, NVIDIA GEFORCE 7600 GT w/256; Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel
D3v1L80Y said:
Designers ARE professionals. :black:

Yes they are... that came out wrong. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
gblader said:
P.S. I LOVE my MacBook so much, it's not even funny. omg, I never thought that a laptop could be so orgas. . . I mean, nice.

So that's where the discoloration comes from... :p

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
Thanks for the posts guys! I'll definitely have to try the trial version. Do I have to purchase different software if I want to incorporate Flash later on? And one more questions - is there a huge difference between Java and HTML? Two different approaches to web design, or two different areas of web design? I tried reading like 15 books on this at B&N, and came up with nothing. They don't teach dummies like me, I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes. They are very different from each other from their usage and the capabilities. Java is a programming language which generates a result whereas HTML is a description language which specify content and placement. What you probably meant by Java is Java Script. JS is a scripting laguage use in millions of Web pages to improve the design, validate forms, detect browsers, create cookies, and for many other things. Java Script should be placed inside HTML code to function.

Reaction score
novicew said:
RW restrict you from using your own codes...
I use all sort of code in RW; php, js, html, css... The app isn't as advanced as Dreamweaver but it is still a VERY powerfull tool.

S

sursuciofla

gblader said:

Thumbs up to Dreamweaver! I love it. I have used Frontpage and GoLive as well. DW is my fave.

You should learn basic html first. It isn't a requirement but it does make things a lot easier and many things that Dreamweaver does for you already you will have an understanding of it once you have the basics down. I think that's a big flaw in today's society, that the programs do most of the work...which is nice but then down the road we have so many questions because we didn't learn the basics. Just like calculators in math class...Ask someone to do simple math and the first thing they say is, "Let me get the calculator!" And don't me get me started on fastfood restaurants and retail. You give then 10.01 for 9.51 ticket and they freak out.
Happened a few weeks ago, I had to give 10 cents back, don't ask me how the figure came about b/c I have no clue. But anyways, I have an HTML book and refer to it when I don't understand exactly what is happening.

Kudos to the "Designers are Professionals!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.