recently got a macbook:D

Reaction score
Hi,
this is my first post on here, and more importantly the first mac I've ever owned. I decided to sell my dell and get a Macbook. I'm now confused about how my MAC os works. I have a few noobie questions, if you helpful forum users would not mind me asking.

1) Sometimesthe font looks outs of focus or not as sharp as it should be, is there a way where I can tweak this. It is especially obvious when i surf the internet.
2) There isnt a word program on my macbook for me to type out work for school. I was told to download open office, but everytime I try to install they said you must install APPLE X11 before installing open office? Can anyone suggest a good program to use for productivity or why this error will be coming up?
3) What are some good ways to protect the outside of your macbook or the palm rest region, I got a white one and do not want to scuff or scratch anything up.
4) I want to set up Apple bootcamp how hard is this to do? I just need a copy of windows xp correct?

thanks in advance guys, I hope to learn more about my mac and be helpful to people later on when I learn more

S

sursuciofla

Virusyn said:
1) Sometimesthe font looks outs of focus or not as sharp as it should be, is there a way where I can tweak this. It is especially obvious when i surf the internet.
Go to APPLE-->SYS PREFS-->DISPLAYS and check screen resolution
Do same and go to APPEARANCE instead of display and tweak text smoothing which should be at bottom of window. Maybe one of those will help.
2) There isnt a word program on my macbook for me to type out work for school. I was told to download open office, but everytime I try to install they said you must install APPLE X11 before installing open office? Can anyone suggest a good program to use for productivity or why this error will be coming up?
It is not preloaded on your computer. It is in the Extra section on your OS install disc. Just pop in disc and look around for it. I am unsure exactly where it is but I believe it is in a Tools folder on the install disc. Then try reloading neo office or whatever and it should work.

3) What are some good ways to protect the outside of your macbook or the palm rest region, I got a white one and do not want to scuff or scratch anything up.
Can't answer that one. I put PDA screen protectors on my ibook but really can't comment on Macbook. I put nothing on ther outside. I just carry it in a Tucano sleeve in my Targus backpack.

4) I want to set up Apple bootcamp how hard is this to do? I just need a copy of windows xp correct?
Can't answer as I don't deal in Intel at the moment.

Reaction score
Virusyn said:

Marware is nice. http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebO...catalogCatID=224&wosid=3kc3rlWCraYU7X9mPlIOGw

Invisible Shield is nice. http://www.shieldzone.com/

It is as simple as following the onscreen instructions. It is great. You will need a copy of Windows XP w/Service Pack 2

Welcome to the wonderfuld world of Mac! And it is Mac, not MAC. :)

Reaction score
Virusyn said:
Hi,
this is my first post on here, and more importantly the first mac I've ever owned. I decided to sell my dell and get a Macbook. I'm now confused about how my MAC os works. I have a few noobie questions, if you helpful forum users would not mind me asking.

thanks in advance guys, I hope to learn more about my mac and be helpful to people later on when I learn more

AppleWorks6 comes preinstalled on your mac and if that's not to your liking then try:

http://www.neooffice.org/

NeoOffice is opensource like Oo.o but doesn't require X11 to run. It's a great alternative to both AppleWorks and Oo.o :dive:

OP
V
Reaction score
wow thats some fast responses, thanks a lot guys, I will try out neooffice its downloading right now. thanks again for all your help with my Mac :D

Reaction score
Virusyn said:
wow thats some fast responses, thanks a lot guys, I will try out neooffice its downloading right now. thanks again for all your help with my Mac :D

On behalf of sursuciofla, ripfrankwhite and myself....S'okay :black:

Reaction score
Pulse-8 said:
AppleWorks6 comes preinstalled on your mac and if that's not to your liking then try:

http://www.neooffice.org/

NeoOffice is opensource like Oo.o but doesn't require X11 to run. It's a great alternative to both AppleWorks and Oo.o :dive:

Macs do NOT come with Appleworks anymore. Use NeoOffice or OpenOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Who's shouting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Virusyn said:

You can find the missing X11 in you installation CD under System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Here are some of the alternatives to MS Word. They are listed according to there overall performance. IMO, Mellel is the best out of thebunch. AbiWord didn't really impressed me.

Mellel
NeoOffice
Nisus Writer
Express
Pages
AbiWord

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.