help with wireless internet

P

pensfan

hey all... been reading these forums the last few days in preparation of my big switch to mac. well my macbook 2.0 ghz came today and im loving every second of it. windows almost looks like playskool to me.

anyways ive been messing around with my computer and trying to transfer files from my ancient pc to my shiny new macbook but everytime i do something internet intensive it seems like my connection shuts off and i have to restart my linksys router to get it back up. i also share an apartment with 2 other guys who all have laptops and use wireless internet.

any ideas why this is happening?

help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

OP
T

todd51

Are they also getting disconnected? Sounds like it just might be a problem with the router rather than the Macbook.

OP
P

pensfan

no they dont get disconnected... i can even get steady wireless internet on my 4 year old bohemoth of a pc. i called apple care and they told me the engineers are working on an update because 10.4.8 doesnt work well with some routers, which included mine, the linksys wrt54g. anyone know if a firwmare update on the router would do anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
MY friends MBP worked much better after disabling BT for some reason. His would crash his router. Try that. Also Interference Robustness if not enabled.

Reaction score
Yes, updating the firmware can also sometimes help. Give that a shot. I also have a WRT54G and all my machines running 10.4.8 (5) are working wirelessly without a hitch. I'll check what firmware I have a get back to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Just updated my firmware last night. Linksys WRT54G v3.0. Firmware Version 4.30.5. Downloaded it from the Linksys website.

OP
P

pensfan

sweet i guess i'll give that a try. thanks for all the responses, i am a very confused man without windows but im coming along.

Erudite.Warrior said:
Just updated my firmware last night. Linksys WRT54G v3.0. Firmware Version 4.30.5. Downloaded it from the Linksys website.

OP
P

pensfan

deus_ex_machina said:
MY friends MBP worked much better after disabling BT for some reason. His would crash his router. Try that. Also Interference Robustness if not enabled.

how do i get to these options and what do i do with them? ive been looking around but can't find interference robustness or even what BT means. thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
pensfan said:
how do i get to these options and what do i do with them? ive been looking around but can't find interference robustness or even what BT means. thanks
BT = Bluetooth
The Airport Preferences has Interference Robustness from the menu at the top.

OP
P

pensfan

deus_ex_machina said:
BT = Bluetooth
The Airport Preferences has Interference Robustness from the menu at the top.

sweet. if anyone was wonderring i updated the firmware on my wireless router and also turned interference robustness on and BT off... net works like a dream. thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.