loss of rotation in iPhoto

M

mimacandI

Hello
I have recently switched to mac and do a lot of ebay listing, the problem I have is when I rotate a picture in iphoto its stays rotated until I import it into ebay when it reverts back to its original orientation. is there a simple way of overcoming this using safari, would using firefox be a benefit?
thanks
richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I believe iPhoto performs a so-called "lossless rotation" - i.e. it sets a flag in the exif data for the displaying app to show it as rotated.

If you export the image at a new size, it should show up correctly (I think).
Alternatively use a different too, such as the free imagewell.

Reaction score
mimacandI said:
Hello
I have recently switched to mac and do a lot of ebay listing, the problem I have is when I rotate a picture in iphoto its stays rotated until I import it into ebay when it reverts back to its original orientation. is there a simple way of overcoming this using safari, would using firefox be a benefit?
thanks
richard

You can also rotate using Preview....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can, but the same problem applies - the rotation is lossless and it only works in programs that respect the setting, but safari (and presumably other browsers) ignore the setting and show it the original way up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Every time you edit/rotate/crop/etc a photo with iPhoto it moves the original file to a safe position and creates a copy, so the original is never modified, only the copy. Depending on how do you get your picture you will either get the original or the edited version.
Export your picture to your Desktop or other place or drag them form iPhoto to your Desktop to be sure you are getting the modified picture, not the original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
mraya, unless i'm totally missing something, that doesn't work either. i've opened from folder, rotated, SaveAs to desktop and the new image is back to the sideways original.

Is there an option under preferences or system preferences to not refer to the original?
I've got CS2, but for something simple like that, i shouldn't have to load up a program like that for just a simple rotate...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Are you trying to do this from within the library in finder? If so, stop. Use the photo from the iPhoto app, do as mraya said, use the "export" function to your desktop. This should pick up the properly rotated picture (though I have not tried it and am not at the mac right now). Don't use the finder for any of your photo work. Do whatever you need to do from within the app itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.