itunes doesn't skip songs, but doesn't play all of the song...

Reaction score
Hello, before people jump all over me, I did a search for my problem and I couldn't find anything that fit exactly. So here is the problem:

I transfered all of my music from my PC to my new PB. Well everything worked great and I was copying my cd's to itunes also. Well now for some reason, about 50% of my songs from cd's and copied from my other computer only play about 15 seconds of the song and then skip to the next song. This happens on my ipod too. Now if I fast forward through the song past the first 15 seconds or so, it will play, but still skips to the next song after a few seconds. I'm new to mac so I don't know if it's permissions issue and if so how to repair permissions (I'm sure I can do a search and figure that out though). Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure you can understand the frustration!
Jared

Reaction score
I don't know exactly, but repairing permissions might be a start. Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and choose your PB's main HD. Repair the Permissions on it (the button down there).

Weird problem though, I'll do some searching.

Also, make sure you have no add-ons, widgets or scripts related to iTunes running currently. They might interfere. Try playing a song file in Quicktime, does it play fine?

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok this is even weirder. I just tried playing some of the same songs in quicktime, that I know skip in itunes. What is weird about it is when I play it in quicktime they song will play in it's entirerty, but has about a second and a half lull 15 seconds into the song...and that is where itunes makes the song skip. It's really weird and I've never heard of anything like it. I thought that it would fix itself when itunes 7 came out, but it didn't. And I can't remember there being an exact moment or action that I did on my PB to figure out what would have happened to it. I tried permissions and didn't work. I appreciate you looking into it. Thanks.
Jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
VeritasCCT said:
I transfered all of my music from my PC to my new PB.... Well now for some reason, about 50% of my songs from cd's and copied from my other computer only play about 15 seconds of the song and then skip to the next song.
Sounds like the song files became corrupted in the transfer.
Try reimporting a small sample of them again, to see if that makes a difference. If so, then you will have to reimport the rest and I would suggest doing so in batches and not all at once.

Reaction score
Hey i have the exact same problem. ALl the songs play fine on my ipod, but SOME seem to have got corrupted or something on my macbook and play about 20 seconds then skip to the next one? Is this an itunes problem or is something wrong with my shiney new macbook? Please help?

Reaction score
Basically, the only thing i've found to work is to reformat the songs. Personally I use Audacity (freeware) with lame-3.97 (freeware)... download both on google. extract lame-3.97, install audacity, open the song in audacity, click file, export as MP3, it will pop up asking for "lame_enc.dll" with one of those browser things. Browse over to the exported folder called lame-3.97, and lame_enc.dll will be in there. Double click on that and it will encode it. Drag the file into itunes, and sync onto ipod... worked for me!

Reaction score
resolved?

Hey,

I know this is a really old thread but I've recently had the same problem with a number of CDs I've copied onto itunes. It plays the first 12-20 seconds of a song then skips to the next.

Did reformating the songs work or shall I try importing them again?

Thanks

Har

C

chas_m

Reformatting the songs -- whatever that means -- is a bad idea due to sound quality loss.

Re-import them. I personally use "iTunes Plus" settings (AAC 256kbps) and everything sounds awesome.

Reaction score
Fix that worked for me!

What worked for me: Right click the problem song in iTunes, select create ACC version, (it creates a 2nd one in diff format) sort by file name in iTunes, look the the duplicates, add the ACC version to the playlist, delete the corrupt one and sync with Ipod.

It was time consuming, I had a bunch that were skipping. I disconnected my ipod from the laptop, used headphones to listen to the playlist, paused on the skipping song, go to the itunes playlist & apply the fix, unpause & find the next corrupt song, repeat. It's fixed though, didn't loose my playlists or my songs. Hope this helps someone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Basically, the only thing i've found to work is to reformat the songs. Personally I use Audacity (freeware) with lame-3.97 (freeware)... download both on google. extract lame-3.97, install audacity, open the song in audacity, click file, export as MP3, it will pop up asking for "lame_enc.dll" with one of those browser things. Browse over to the exported folder called lame-3.97, and lame_enc.dll will be in there. Double click on that and it will encode it. Drag the file into itunes, and sync onto ipod... worked for me!

Audacity does use the LAME encoder that can sometimes cause this skip bug.

Re-encoding (hopefully from the original CD) using iTunes's encoder will cure any songs of this skipping error

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the speedy replies! I'll probably try re-importing them as it sounds less complicated for me :)

Reaction score
I had the same problem-they played fine in itunes, but then when I started walking for exercise, they would play just a few seconds of the song and then switch to another, and so on. It drove me crazy. Then I restored, redid all of my music to no avail. Then I noticed it would play fine when I had it connected to my ipod player. I was telling my 15 yr old niece about it and she asked me if I had it on "Shake to Shuffle." Guess what? I did! And now it works fine! And who said teenagers didn't know anything! On ipod touch: Go to "Settings", Scroll down to Music, then unclick "Shake to Shuffle." Hope this works for some of you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.