Powerbook on a Windows wireless network question

Reaction score
If this is a tired subject covered by several threads, I apologize for bringing it up again. I'm new to this forum :dummy: and couldn't find the answer to my question via a search.
I've got two Macs on a Windows network. The old 466 Clamshell (what a trooper of a laptop this thing is!) doesn't have Airport so it's plugged in to my router via Ethernet. The second Mac is a G4 Powerbook via Airport. Aside from the host (XP desktop Ethernet thru a Linksys router hooked to FIOS) I have a Windows ME desktop, an XP laptop, and a Linksys wireless media player. The network is WEP encrypted.
If I set all devices to auto TCP/IP using DHCP, I have full connectivity with all devices as well as internet access.
The problem arises when I try to assign static IPs to all devices. To simplify my sharing from device to device, it helps me to have a fixed IP address for each device (and my media player works much better) I can therefore put network shortcuts on my desktop, for instance.
What happens is when I try to set up manually, or use DHCP with a manual IP address (using the same subnet and router addresses) I get network connectivity, but no internet connectivity. This occurs with both the wireless Powerbook and the wired iBook, so it's not a wireless or Airport issue. The Airport thinks I'm connected to the internet, btw. I'm guessing that this is a Host computer Firewall issue (exceptions?), but I don't know.
If I revert back to automatic DHCP for the Macs, I immediately get internet connectivity again. Does PPPoE have anything to do with this?
If I can't resolve this, I'll just keep the Macs on DHCP with dynamic IPs. Problem is, eventually they'll grab my wife's (PC laptop user) static IP & she won't have internet access. She refuses to learn anything about any of this, so guess who has to drop everything when that happens?
Thanks in advance!
J.P.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
A few things to suggest, in no particular order:

1) You should only assign static IPs outside your router's DHCP range. That way you will never get conflicts.

2) It sounds like you're just not entering the correct default gateway IP. If the Mac's can connect to other machines but not outside the network, your routing is probably missing - it doesn't know where to send the packets.

3) It might be easier to use fixed DHCP mappings. You basically connect everything together, then on the router set the DHCP server to always send a particular IP to a particular MAC address.

Reaction score
FiOS Issue

Hello All,

I got FiOS about 4 months ago and eliminated the Verizon supplied router the same day I got it. I had a Linksys RF router set up and I just plugged the FiOS cat 5 into the Linksys and reset the router. It has worked fine ever since.

So, after buying 2 MacBook Pros, I decided today to eliinate the Linksys and substitute an Airport Extreme. Big problems! I was able to set up the APE with no problems, and both MBP's conneted to it. The problem is no Internet! I called Aple, they seem to think there is a problem with the IP address, which this thread seems to indicate as well. I have a call in to Verizon, but past experience shows I might as well talk to myself!

Any ideas? I see someone said Verizon remotely relesed the lease on the DCHP, it looks like I can do this myself, but just wanted to get any input here. I would be a shame to take the APE back to Apple and keep using the Linksys, which is what I am doing now. Removed the APE, plugged in the old Linksys, everything is working like a champ! Go figure, I thought this Apple stuff was supposed to be simple!

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.