Can you play Xvid, DivX etc. Files in Front Row?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the Front Row software and media files with XviD and/or DivX codec's.

Can these be played through Front Row? I know that I can play them in Quick Time on my iBook at the moment but I need to know if Front Row will play them as I am considering buying an iMac and would love to be able to control/play my media files via Front Row while sat on my bed chilling out :miner:

Regards,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If QuickTime can play them, then FrontRow should be able to because it is actually just a new front end to quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
As long as you have the codecs installed in Quicktime they will play in Front row, I know it works for sure on my MacBook.

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
cool, thanks for the info guys :)

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I was wondering this recently too. I have a lot of .avi files, and my digital camera records movies in .avi as well. I have the codecs for quicktime to play them, but I don't think front row played them...

edit: I've found that some .avi files work in front row and some do not. I'm not sure the reason for this - perhaps the encoding?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
but do i have to put my divx movies in a specified folder or how can i browse with front row?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Either put them in your Movies folder, or add them to iTunes. They should show up in Front Row.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter
better i just purchases a divx player...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
better i just purchases a divx player...

No need for something silly like that. Go here:

http://www.perian.org/

Then go here:

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

Download and install each package, and your Quicktime (and by extension Frontrow) will be able to handle pretty much any .avi you throw at it. If DivX and Xvid are all you're concerned about, only the first link is necessary. Just make sure you have your movie files in your Movies folder (it's in the sidebar of any Finder windows you open by default).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.